comanche Bumper

I have a 90 comanche and got hung up on my rear bumper and hitch. Both are rusted pretty badly and I really don't want to just put them both back on. I want something a little more rugged.

What do you guys have for bumpers on you comanches? Preferably with a 2" reciever.

I made my own.

It made from 3.25" sprinkler pipe. Its at least a 1/4" think. Did the front as well.

I cut the ends to keep it tight to the body than boxed it in so its sealed. Then I bought a receiver extention and cut it in to the tube and welded it all up. To reinforce it I have a set of bars that will bolt to the extention then angle up ending above the axle. I will bolt those in two places with 1/2" grade 8 bolts. No pics of the reinforcement as I haven't done it as yet...its been cold and snowy!!

If anyone here is thinking about building a bumper and then towing with it, you'd better brace the heck out of it! If it fails and the ensuing carnage hurts anything or anyone, YOU are the liable party.

That being said, I used 3x5 box steel and built the 2x2 directly into it. It has an added 3/4" bolt through the frame per side and is bolted to the rollbar. It will never be used for towing, only recovery.

Jeep on!

--Pete