Swapping out lock cylinder or steering column for single key

Hey gang,

I know this may be getting a little nit picky... but... my 91 Wrangler only has one key (for the ignition and the doors), my 98 Grand Cherokee only had one key... but the 89 Comanche has two.

What do I need to do to get a single key to do it all?

My 96 XJ was one key, and doing some reading on NAXJA it seems like in 94 they switch to a chrysler designed steering column. Prior to that a GM column was used... however, i've heard prior years having one key to do it all too.

Anywho...

give me the scoop.

I don't mind tracking down a 94 column to swap in if that's what it takes, but am worried that all the plugs might not match up.

Weird. My 91 MJ uses one key for everything. A PO must have previously swapped out the ignition cylinder on your rig. Pulling the ignition cylinder from the GM column is a beetch (for me anyhow). Easier to pull the door lock cylinders and have a locksmith key them to match your ignition key.

none with 1 key as the 1 key setup was different designed steering column. the ign key should fit in the lock cylinder...in which case you could potentially rekey it to your ignition key.

IMO it's always bad to have 1 key...if they get a hold of it, they can drive away...i only keep a spare lock key on my truck in case i lock myself out or lose my keys. then you have to find the ign key completely elsewhere...

My 90 has 2 keys. It's not driveable yet, but I've always wondered what it's like to have 2 keys for an MJ. :hmm: My 88 has one (because you don't need a key to start it and I lost that key years ago). My 86 has none. Don't need a key to start it and I certainly have no need to lock the dang thing. :laughin:

the 9 or 10 mj's that have passed through me have all had 2 keys, and the years ranged from three 86's, two 87's, one 88, two 89's, and one 91.

out of all of those, i've got all three 86's still here, no 87's, one 88, one 89 (mine but not paid for yet), and i used the rest for parts to repair the others...