My 1987 Comanche Pioneer

Dropped in new brake lines from the front booster to the rear proportioning valve, Installed new brake cylinders in the rear, new brake shoes, and new brake drums. I need the adjuster for the drivers side rear, It's just rusted solid. I'll check the autoparts store tommorow. I'll bleed them once I get that adjuster.

Still need to do some rust control and painting under the bed before I connect all the parking brake cables together and re-attach that bracket that holds where they all meet.

But progress is being made. I wish My digital camera didn't grow legs, would be nice to post a few pictures of my progress.

Maybe I use real film and scan them in. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Made some more progress the other day.

Went to the Junkyard, and got a rear proportioning valve that seems good, (wasn't rusted to S#*t like mine). Installed in in the MJ and bled the rear brakes.

reconected the parking brake bracket and cables, (still need to adjust it yet)

Picked up a Left fender and installed that too.

Picked up a new grill, and headlight bezels, to replace the ones I screwed up.

Picked up a couple little "nick-nack-parts" while I was at the JY.

Hopefully I'll get the gas tank back in this week, and fire this baby back up! jamminz.gif

I've decided to skip taking the bed off, Gotta get this thing road worthy before winter, so I just won't have the time.

Also Untill I get it on the road, who knows what else I might find wrong!

Finally a few pictures for you all.

Here is a look at the bench seat I installed. It is one what was ment for the colum shift, but I made a little modification to the mini console so everything fits and the seat will slide forward and back.

I picked the bench seat up at the JY for $23. It was so mint I just couldn't pass it by.

here are pictures of the modifications I made to the miniconsole.

here is a picture of the Dashboard with the full instrument cluster, and the wood grain bezel.

Here is the front end, at the moment

It's getting a face lift soon (new grill, headlight bezels and a stock brush guard). sort of hard to tell, but that is a (new to this MJ) drivers side door.

My MJ has been parked since it was delivered to the house.

Today, however, it actualy moved under it's own power!

The rear brakes don't seem as tight as I'd like, so I'll have to double check that the rear proportioning valve is working correctly, and if so I'll adjust the rear brakes.

If not I'll bleed them again.

Slapped on a new fender, put the header panel back in, and re-installed the gas tank.

Was so nice to hear the old 4.0 start up.

Hopefully I'll have this old MJ back on the road by the end of september.

Still have alot of little things to do before then!

I'll get that grill guard on before winter!

• 1 month later...

Well it's been quite some time since I've posted any information on my progress.

Ok the Brush guard is on!, (thanks 1999MJ!).

jamminz.gif

I've also got the new door and fender painted. This picture shows the door before I painted it but so what. I realy lucked out, I thought I was gonna have to paint the whole dam truck some horrible color just to have some consisitancy to the color. But I found that Lowes had the EXACT color in spray cans! it's actualy a Rustoleum Metalic color, so it's great cause I can just touch up everything everywhere as I go, sorta gives it that road warrior "ish" look. :brows:

I've decided to skip the some of the mechanical work on the engine, due to time, I've gotta get this baby on the road. I can do some of the needed engine work in the spring/summer. She should last until then.

Right now my main concern is the Unibody/frame.

It looks REAL bad in the passenger side, just infron of the leaf perch.

about 6-8 inches back from that whole the metal is thin as !#@%$#@ as it's rusted out from the inside out. seems the PO never bothered to clean under there aftyer getting it stuck in the mud pits.

I actualy pulled out chuncks of hardended mud from inside there! :mad:

Oh well, got alittle more then I bargained for there!

let it be a lesson learned for my next MJ. :roll:

I've been welding some plates on to this part of the frame to strenghten it, Hopefully I can get a couple more years out of it, after welding up a bunch of re-inforcing plates to the frame.

I dunno, have you all seen worse?

This weekend I hope the weather holds up and I can get somemore welding done on the frame. I realy want to get it on he road shortly, My old YJ needs a break! The YJ broke the 266,000 mark today. :eek: she just won't quit, but she is tired and I need another vehicle as a back up.

I feel sorry for ya man. Salt Sucks!

Actualy it's more a case of the Prior Owner(s) suck!

I pulled a good deal of crap out of the inside of the frame rail.

If the PO bothered to wash down the underside after sinking it in the mud, maybe it wouldn't look so bad.

On the otherhand, I've already got two good pieces of steel welded to it and plan on more. Hopefully I should get a couple of years out of it.

• 3 months later...

I haven't posted anything about my MJ, since last October.

Fact is Not much has been done since then.

I've welded in some metal to reinforce the frame rail on the passenger side, and got a quick coating of paint on it before winter set in.

Yesterday, My Daily Driver wouldn't start, (1991 YJ). Turned out that the ignition coil had finaly went, (17years and 272,000miles). I ended up staying home from work, and after I fixed the wrangler I started fooling with the MJ. It was unseasonably warm yesterday.

Anyhow I got the MJ fired up, (first time since November), I put it in 4high and backed it out through the pile of snow I had pushed behind it.

Anyhow while doing so I saw a nice spray of snow flying up across the front of the jeep which let me know that the 4wheel drive was indeed working. ;)

I can't wait for warmer weather when I can get back to work on this beast and get it on the road.

• 4 months later...

Here it is June 2008,, a little over a year since I first got my old MJ.

I'm happy to say, it's running, and passed inspection last week.

It's a Total Dog compared to the wife's Cherokee, but still it Runs stron g and everything works!

I'll post a few pictures for you all to see,

I put alot of time into this old beast,,

just this past few weeks I put new brake pads up front, new tires on the front, new oil pan gasket, new valve cover gasket, new Crankshaft sensor, new coil, cap, rotor plugs and wires.

Just in time too as the dwarves inside my TJ's transmission are really making ALOT of noise!

Yeeeehaaaa! :cheers:

John - That's looking really good :D

Even after them metal eating termites got a hold of it......Nice Job :thumbsup:

Thanks Wildman!

I learned how to wield on this old truck!

In fact my friend who has been welding for years can't believe how good I can now weld, with only a cheepie stick welder!

If you follow this thread from the start, you'll see that ALOT welding was needed.

but I also have Harry's U-Pull it only about 2hrs away, so I aquired a new drivers door and fender from a XJ.

Still need quite a few minor things fixed and or re-installed,, but all the major stuff is working!