Yahoo! 4x4 conversion for $200 cdn

Kenosha Warrior

Awesome, I just got a 100,000km freshened 2.5L out of a YJ, along with a AX-5 and a 231 transfercase. I'm going to take a weekend, me and some guys from the Belleville ORV club are meeting at a members place, yanking the 2.5L from the YJ, implaning it, along with the clutch from the AX-5, into the Comanche with the 4spd till I can get ample time to do the 4x4 conversion. (namely I need axles and a drivershaft set)

Should make for a good weekend, me and my girlfriend are going to assist in the teardown of the YJ, the yanking of my motor (Which will be disected then junked) the swappage of the clutch. We'll complete the MJ first. We'll be taking the oil pressure sensor and temp sensor out of the old motor (idiot light dash in the MJ isn't ready to be replaced yet)

Where are the temp sensors on the 2.5L?

hey colton, put the ax5 in now. you don't have to connect the front driveshaft or the shift linkages just yet.

get the 4.0 swb rear d-shaft you were talking about before the swap and make it worth your while...that way all you have to do is swap in axles, and drop the tranny crossmember enough to get the shift linkages in and hooked up. you can do that all in a day or two with a few good guys, the right tools, and proper diagnostic abilities.

Pat, I'm not going to put the tcase/trans in now for the simple fact that we wanna have the motor in in one day. Yank it frm the YJ, into the MJ with the Oil and Temp sensors (if the YJ has guages instead of idiot lights) Its meant to be a simple swap. I'm going to build a special set of skid/rockrail/trans crossmember. Ive got all the metal and hardware, just need to weld it together. removable skids that slide into lips on the rockrail/crossmember. The rails act as stiffners. I'm getting that D44 with the longbed driveshaft cheaper than what the SWB driveshaft would be ($90 for the DS and $150 for LWB ds and D44)

It'll all come together over the summer. I'm keeping the waterpump and fan off my old engine, distribby too. The intake/xhaust mani, rad, mounts and such are being kept as spares. Ill have a good chunk of spare parts, plus a usable t-case/trans.

don't bother gettin the longbed driveshaft...either way you are gonna have a day or two of down-time and not be able to drive the mj. the reason for that is that you will have to cut down your ds for measurements AFTER you install the tranny and such, as prior to doing so, you have no ability to get exact measurements (I can measure my 89's rear ds for you, but it's gonna be off by an inch or two guaranteed).

unless you're willing to risk "guessing" the ds length based on measurements of one from someone else's swb mj with a dana 44 rear end. I suppose you could do that and if it's not 100% right the first time, you can have your other ds changed to be right.

either way, remember PROFESSIONAL is the way to go on the ds. you have no way of cutting/welding/balancing your ds to be perfect, and it's not a thing to mess with on ds strength etc.

yeah, I'm still debating that.. Plus I can possibly get a SWB 4x4 ds for free from another guy from the club. The motor will go in seperate from the rest of the combo, seeing as Id just like to do a new clutch/flywheel, the chain on the tcase, seals/gaskets, new ujoints in the axles along with balljoints and seals, brakes will be yanked off the old front axle. I'm yet to get the axles so I'm just biding my time, but want to cut my losses and get rid of the chattery 2.5L. the one I'm getting has 140 +/- psi on each cyl. 100, 000km on the motor. Its a good deal.

I've got now two spare 2.5/AX5 rear driveshafts, in addition to the one currently under the MJ (yes, I'm a packrat....) Problem is that there all from D35 rears. I've got a '44 going in shortly, and can measure the pinion length difference between it and a '35, and measure one of the shafts if you want me to. Then you can just do some math and see what you need. IIRC, the pinion is 5/8” longer but don’t quote me on that.

I’m hoping that when I put mine in, the driveshaft will remain the same because of lift. When I swapped the springpacks and got that 3” lift in the rear, I noticed my slipyoke pulled out about ½” or so. Hopefully it’ll all balance out (but if it doesn’t I have 3 driveshafts to choose to cut down :D)

Jeff

it was 1 MJ and it was a 88 2wd 4spd.

rotted to snot.

Sounds like the MJ you have now ;)

Look.....just be patient and what your looking for will come your way :D

I'm looking for some axels right now, and passed up a couple of "buys" knowing that what I want will be found........as the projects wait :roll:

The one you looked at, if the price was right, you should have grabed it for parts, and you know what other parts are good to keep.