Custom VIN Decoder for CC

Mirfster

All,

Had a few hours to kill and decided to try my hand a Java Scripting.  So, I threw together a VIN Decoder that is geared mainly for Comanches.  Everything is "self-contained" and is 504 kb in size.  So basically, it can be copied to any folder and ran from there (desktop or from a server).  Doesn't need any special hosting or a database (data is in a json file itself)

Anyways, I uploaded a copy to "http://aliassolutions.com/ccvindecoder/";if anyone wants to have a whirl feel free.

If you good folks at CC want it for your site, I am more than happy to hand over a copy for you all to have and modify to your liking.

I'm sure that some professional Java Script-er would say they could do it in lesser lines, but looks to work pretty good for first attempt at a VIN Decoder to me...

This is pretty awesome!

I put in my 86 (notorious year for not having complete information) and it even confirmed that I have a part time tcase with a five speed. That is something no other vin decoder has ever done for me. Thank you for this! I bookmarked it.

Glad, it worked for you.  I based everything from that one listing of Jeep VINs.  Learned a lot more about the Jeep VINs than I first anticipated.  :) 

Output screen could use some polishing, but does the job for now.  If there are other places that I should reference for additional information I would be happy to add that.  All the data is basically stored in a text file (in json format) so it can be easily modified/updated.

Ahh, was a little glitch with it comparing "k" to "K".  Just had the variable convert everything to Uppercase before the comparison.  Should be good now.

Weird thing is that I purposely left out information that I did not think would pertain to Comanches.

For instance, your 8th digit is a "L"; which would be the "GVW AND/OR TRIM" for that year  (1986-1989). 

According to the sheet at http://www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com/vin-decoder/jeep-truck.html, this would equate to either:

L = 3,001 - 4,000 Cherokee "Laredo"
L = 3,001 - 4,000 Wrangler "Laredo"

So my decoder basically tells you that:

"GVW Trim:
Sorry 8th digit does not indicate a supported "GVW Trim" for this Model Year"

I would think that perhaps in reality the 8th digit is a number "1"?  This would properly equate to "Comanche "Base" (Std Payload)".

Might be the same for your 11th digit too, but again for those years they really didn't provide much decoder information as far as the "Assembly Plant".

For that year the 6th and 7th digits, are for the "Body Type / Series"

Per the decoder sheet "66" = "Pickup - Comanche 4X2 (7 Ft Bed)"

But the 5th Digit is for "Transmission Transfer Case"; which equates to "Auto (4 Spd) - Floor Shift - Full Time 4X4"

Could it your 6th & 7th digits possibly be 65?  That would result in "Pickup - Comanche 4X4 (7 Ft Bed)"

Here is all they have for that year and code that I included just for Comanches:

63 = Pickup - Comanche 4X4 (6 Ft Bed)
64 = Pickup - Comanche 4X2 (6 Ft Bed)
65 = Pickup - Comanche 4X4 (7 Ft Bed)
66 = Pickup - Comanche 4X2 (7 Ft Bed

Also, your 3rd digit "7", corresponds to a "Type" = "Truck" for 1990, but not 1989.  Could your 3rd digit really be the letter "T"? This would then correctly correspond to "Truck" for 1988-1989..

is it possible I have a late model 89 so my vin is off because of that?
I don't know month my vehicle came off the line because the tag in door jam is completely faded
but the vin I provded is straight from my dash and title.

my vin # lines up perfectly with the 1990 sheet decoder...only difference is where it says L for 1990 model year, mine is a K...which I would assume is 1989 model year and all else on my vin matches perfect for 1990...

Was just about to say that I ran a quick check with just changing the year (changed 10th digit) from "K" to "L" and this is what I got:

Model Year: 1990
Manufacturer: Jeep U.S.A.
Type: Truck
Engine Type: 4.0 Litre, I-6
GVW Trim: 4001 - 5000 GVW
Transmission Transfer Case: Information N\A for this Model Year (Please see "Line" Section)
Line: Cherokee or Comanche - 2WD
Body Type Series: Information N\A for this Model Year (Please see "Body" & "Series" Sections)
Body: Truck
Series: Eliminator
Check Digit: 8
Assembly Plant: Toledo #1
Sequence Number: 460303

To avoid "cross contamination" I specifically kept each year separate since Jeep changed some values as well as which digit corresponded to what field.  Everything is just based off of that one sheet from that site.  If there is a more detailed sheet or information somewhere, I would be more than happy to incorporate it.

Maybe the truck rolled out New Years Eve and they were a bit tipsy when assigning the VIN?  :cheers: