throttle body removal

how do i remove the throttle body from my 87 4.0. the PO must of had the spring break on him so he just put a different spring to pull it back and attached the other end to a bolt on the block. it makes pressing the gas very stiff. I'm heading near the JY tomorrow and would like to know what tools to bring, and how to remove it, or is it better to replace the spring one it? how?

Thank You,

Jonathan

well, i looked at my brother in laws, he has the HO engine, his looks pretty straight forward on how to remove it, mine is a little confusing, it looks almost to be part of the block, a few torx screws, but non of them look to be holding it on, anyone else delt with this kind of throttle body?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm bumping this up in hopes to get the info i need,

this is an 87 4.0 non HO motor, the spring that doesnt work is the one returns the throttle back to the closed position, i don't know the exact name of this part, I'm looking to see if this spring can be replaced and how, or is it an assembely and cannot be taken apart, i tried to call a jeep dealer and my lack of knowledge and crappy explanations got me no where. i tried looking through the site to see if i could find someone with a pic of it but most are the high output with the 4 torx bolts, but mine is doesnt look like that.

Please any help would be awsome, if anyone has a pic of that type of engine they could throw up that would help also, i would but I'm at work, um errr working hard :nuts: so i cannot take a pic myself.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Yea.....I know what spring your talking about, I had this same problem on an '88, it's the return spring wound around the throttle arm.

I should have an extra Throttle body around here, I'll look to see if it can be taken off, or if you need the complete throttle body.

I'll look tomorrow, and Yes, I know, it's for a pre-1991, non-HO engine.

Drop me a PM and we'll get this to you.

Will these pics work? I don't know what the part is called, it doesn't seem to have a part #, so it is probably part of the TB assembly. You may want to go to your local bone yard for this :dunno: .

Drivers side:

Passenger side:

Hope this helps!

ok, i had it in my head that my engine was radicaly different most i had seen, as it turns out the looks a lot alike.

here is mine, i was able to take some pics:

can i just take off that nut and replace the spring? you can see it much better in the pics provided by ROADLESS.

Thanks,

Jonathan

EDIT: damn that is one clean engine Roadless, new parts or just some good old elbow grease?

lostissues,

The FSM calls it the throttle return spring. You should be able to take the nut off, then remove the outer 'spool' (the thing the spring wraps around), it looks like it is separated in the middle.

The trick will be finding a spring that will work. I could not tell for sure by your pic, but it looks like the PO tried to put a thicker and shorter spring on the 'spool'.

As you can tell from my pic the OEM spring is thinner and longer. NAPA has a few throttle return spring kits, although they don't specify what vehicles they fit, you may be able to make one work. here's the link:

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/N ... Spring+Kit

Any way I guess the trick will be to get the spring to 'hook' on the throttle body at one end and on the throttle adjusting plate (to keep it from spinning) and to tension the spring by rotating it until you get the right pedal 'feel'. Just be careful to leave enough tension for the throttle valve to close. Suffice it to say it will require some trial and error!

BTW, thanks for the engine comment. Some new parts, some reconditioned, lots of good ole elbow grease :wrench:

OK.....I got an extra return spring, took it off an extra Throttle body last night, you can change it in the truck, but it's a hell of alot easyer on the bench ;)

Bend back locking tabs, remove retaining nut, slide assembily off, spring slides over "plastic" housing, and the only problem I see would be getting the spring loaded on the throttle body, there's a "notch" for the spring to rest on, as you can see in roadless's pictures.

11167124_348.ts1181482992000.jpg

11167133_348.ts1181483021000.jpg

11167142_348.ts1181483051000.jpg

So.....let me know if you need this or not.

Or you can find one at your local JY, plus you'll always find other things there :brows:

blah

3 bolts hold the throttle body on.

then 2 connectors for the sensors

then the one hookup for the throttle system.

the 3 bolts that hold it on are the same ones that hold the intake tube to the throttle body. they're torques. go to wal-mart and grab a cheap set if you need to. remove throttle body (spray bolts with pb if needed), and do it on the bench...replacing the spring will be easier there.

yeahthat.gif

Well, you can do it JeepcoMJ way, But---

"3 bolts hold the throttle body on." Yea, there T30 torx

"then 2 connectors for the sensors" That's correct.

"then the one hookup for the throttle system." This would be the Throttle linkage.

" remove throttle body (spray bolts with pb if needed)" Ah....this should not be needed, unless your throttle body is rusted to the intake, which I doubt.

But if you take it off the intake, you need a new Throttle body gasket, and need to retork the 3 bolts to the proper tork.

So....I would say, try it in the truck first, and it will save you alot of extra work.

:yeah that:

Well, you can do it JeepcoMJ way, But---

"3 bolts hold the throttle body on." Yea, there T30 torx

"then 2 connectors for the sensors" That's correct.

"then the one hookup for the throttle system." This would be the Throttle linkage.

" remove throttle body (spray bolts with pb if needed)" Ah....this should not be needed, unless your throttle body is rusted to the intake, which I doubt.

:D new? who puts new stuff on their trucks? lol, if you're really really lucky or very very skilled you can get the gasket off in prime condition...we did on the ones i've done. as for torquing, yes, torquing is a big deal.

But if you take it off the intake, you need a new Throttle body gasket, and need to retork the 3 bolts to the proper tork.

So....I would say, try it in the truck first, and it will save you alot of extra work.

:D new? who puts new stuff on their trucks? lol, if you're really really lucky or very very skilled you can get the gasket off in prime condition...we did on the ones i've done. as for torquing, yes, torquing is a big deal.

Well....alot of us do thing right, the first time. We don't re-use old gaskets when a new gasket costs $3.

And most of us don't just bandaid a project to sell it off to someone else that ends up with all of the headaches. Yea, I read most of your posts.

I guest us "old timers" have more patiences and pride in our work ;)