I bought a Trabant...

I wanted one more car but didnt have much cash.... so i bought a Trabbi

15891188322_887b89a13b_c.jpg

The Plan is to take it on a Roadtrip to Berlin.

I have checked/repaired the fuel and ignition system, after that i fired up and i took it for a test drive.

The tires have one flat side (no air for 10 years) so it was a bit bumpy

No brakes except e-brake

The rear door only have one hinge

You can't open the driver side from outside

The passenger door is always "open"

The hood opened itself when i shifted in to 3rd gear

the heat exchanger had alot of old leaf inside that caught fire when the engine got hot.

It  also have alot of rust.

other than that i think it is in great condition and you could do burnouts :)

Now i am drinking Russian Standard and search the Web for sheet metal.

Looks pretty solid. Sounds like you have a good plan for it.  :cheers: 

I'm curious as to the average prices in Sweden for clean Volvo PV 444 and 544 cars. I've had many of them in the past and love the damn things. Prices are going high now for them here and was just curious as to the availability of these cars in Sweden.

Here you have a search on Swedish biggest marketplace.

http://www.blocket.se/hela_sverige?q=&cg=1020&w=3&st=s&ps=&pe=&mys=&mye=1969&ms=&me=&cxpf=&cxpt=&gb=&fu=&cxdw=&ca=21&is=1&l=0&md=th&cb=41&cbl1=0

Then you can use Google.com to translate the ads

I am not a Volvo Expert but the prices is something like this:

You could get a legal and drivable for around 2000 USD

But one in Good condition with no rust is more like 4000-5000USD

and if it is a Sport version in Perfect condition it is something like 12000USD and up

I wanted one more car but didnt have much cash.... so i bought a Trabbi

15891188322_887b89a13b_c.jpg

The Plan is to take it on a Roadtrip to Berlin.

I have checked/repaired the fuel and ignition system, after that i fired up and i took it for a test drive.

The tires have one flat side (no air for 10 years) so it was a bit bumpy

No brakes except e-brake

The rear door only have one hinge

You can't open the driver side from outside

The passenger door is always "open"

The hood opened itself when i shifted in to 3rd gear

the heat exchanger had alot of old leaf inside that caught fire when the engine got hot.

It  also have alot of rust.

other than that i think it is in great condition and you could do burnouts :)

Now i am drinking Russian Standard and search the Web for sheet metal.

Haha, sounds like an adventure!  You'll be able to find out its top speed on the Autobahn.   :yes: 

Aren't the Trabbi's the ones with the bodies that never die? Duraplast or whatever the composite is they used? 2-stroke as well?

I've always enjoyed the East-block/Soviet cars. They did seem for the most part to be turds, but there's just so much charm in the simple form-follows-function engineering, the whole not doing more than it says on the box thing, to  steal  borrow James May's expression. My daily driver is a Lada.

Looking forward to seeing more of this one. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much for the site. Prices in Sweden look comparable to here. Most I've looked at unfortunately are too rotted out. That 444 with the aluminum Rover V8 is something you will never see here.  :drool:

4907703924.jpg

Well it is pretty common with modified Volvos here ;)

Everything from Keith Black V8 too Mazda wankel   but i guess the most common is B230 Turbo  (Volvo 940 Engine)

Aren't the Trabbi's the ones with the bodies that never die? Duraplast or whatever the composite is they used? 2-stroke as well?

I've always enjoyed the East-block/Soviet cars. They did seem for the most part to be turds, but there's just so much charm in the simple form-follows-function engineering, the whole not doing more than it says on the box thing, to  steal  borrow James May's expression. My daily driver is a Lada.

Looking forward to seeing more of this one. :thumbsup:

Thats right, it is some kind of cotton material i think. And yes it is a 2-stroke

I agree with you! 

Nice with a Lada Driver!   I have a Lada Samara as daily driver

Thanks very much for the site. Prices in Sweden look comparable to here. Most I've looked at unfortunately are too rotted out. That 444 with the aluminum Rover V8 is something you will never see here.  :drool:

4907703924.jpg

Everything from Keith Black V8 too Mazda wankel   but i guess the most common is B230 Turbo  (Volvo 940 Engine)

I had a 57 PV444 for many years. Converted it to 12V, stuck in a B20 with Webers, and put 150K on it in three years. Great cars.

If you like 2-smokers how come you didn't pick up a Saab? Had a few of those too with the three cylinder 850cc engine. Prices and parts should be reasonable for them in Sweden, si?

4907703924.jpg

I had a 57 PV444 for many years. Converted it to 12V, stuck in a B20 with Webers, and put 150K on it in three years. Great cars.

If you like 2-smokers how come you didn't pick up a Saab? Had a few of those too with the three cylinder 850cc engine. Prices and parts should be reasonable for them in Sweden, si?

Thats Cool!

I am not really a fan of 2-stroke i just wanted a Trabbi :)     Saab is a bit to Common here and i like odd cars.

I guess that you were the only one with a saab 2-stroker in your town ;)

Understand. There were a few Saabs around in Vermont where I grew up near Lake Champlain. Quite a few Scandinavians lived there, including me. When I was a kid we used to ice race them on the lake in the winter back in the day. The 2-strokes FWD Saabs ruled on the ice. You could rev them so damn high the RPMs passed your audio range. Lots of fun.    :yes:

Understand. There were a few Saabs around in Vermont where I grew up near Lake Champlain. Quite a few Scandinavians lived there, including me. When I was a kid we used to ice race them on the lake in the winter back in the day. The 2-strokes FWD Saabs ruled on the ice. You could rev them so damn high the RPMs passed your audio range. Lots of fun.    :yes:

Hehe yeah they seem to be good race cars.   In sweden we have a historical racing championship (Tarmac) with cars up to 1000cc and older then 1965. There are a couple of Saabs there.  But the 970cc  Mini Cooper are alot faster :(

The first rocker is finished.

16067194679_ff60f34be0_z.jpg

Someone have been living here.....

16067500747_23f1257a75_c.jpg

• 1 month later...