i have an emergency Question, ans now please

anyone,

My Neice just accidently poured about a half an cup of oil, into the powersteering pump before I could stop her.

It's on (in) toyota 4runner

What if anything do i need to do? Please answer in a hurry.

anyone,

My Neice just accidently poured about a half an cup of oil, into the powersteering pump before I could stop her.

It's on (in) toyota 4runner

What if anything do i need to do? Please answer in a hurry.

DON'T start the engine.

disconnect the non-pressure hose from it and drain it. tip the hose and drain that too.

the oil will not mix with the power steering fluid that was already in it...unless it was empty. draining the reservoir should empty it

Ok, bless her heart, she was about to cry, thinking she might have messed something up. anyway, I was out side, using the turkey bastering suckering thing-ah-mah-jig, then ran back in to check to see if you had answered me yet, and we both had the same solution.

She actually did'nt even pour enuf in to worry about, so ...

Thanks my friend

John

I know somebody that ran used engine oil in his P/S for quite a while. Eventually the pump obliderated itself.

It's amazing what you can get away with. I know a guy that had a knocking lawn mower engine. He dumped 90 weight hydraulic oil in it & it ran quiet for 2 more years.

Running heavy liquid lube in place of lighter liquid lube is one thing -- using a totally different formulation where pumps and hoses are involved is another. I've seen what happens to a brake system when some doofus puts automatic tranny juice in the master cylinder. It's especially exciting at night -- ever see front brake rotors glowing cherry red?

I would have suggested the turkey baster, too. Good job getting that stuff out of there.