96 to 86 4.0 swap

Yes I know the woes of swapping a 4.0 into an 86, done more than enough research to be comfortable with it. However I know that 96s can be wiring headaches due to being the go between year for obd1 and obdII. Is this any reason to avoid using a 96 donor xj? My goal is to swap everything dash-forward into the mj, and the donor was $100, so I'm getting it regardless, for parts and scrap for my brothers xj if nothing else

I was going to point out the fuel pump difference, but since Ben made mention of it... Everything else should be fairly smooth sailing.  Be sure to take lots and lots of pictures!

Also, feel free to PM with questions if you have any.  I can take more pictures and explain in more depth what all I had to do.  I'm excited another '86 owner is tackling this swap. :cheers:

I've been planning on it originally since I bought the truck 3 years ago. But then again the plan has gone from 4.0 to Mercedes diesel, to 318, 360, 4.0, diesel, and back to 4.0. Couldn't make up my mind, then $100 xj pops up and made my mind up for me!

Picked it up. Turns out it's the same xj I looked at for a DD last week, guy just gave it to

His dad for parts and a questionable title for his 98. But I know the engine and trans are both good since I drove it last Wednesday. Need to figure out some wiring issues, then going to start tearing down both for the swapce2a053852bf6e03a176794ca6272eb1.jpg

... a questionable title...

ce2a053852bf6e03a176794ca6272eb1.jpg

Check the windshield right around the VIN plate. Nice. :laughin:

Yep. But it shall serve me well, and breathe new life into the mj! Pretty excited to get back to working on it again. And this time I'm doing something worthwhile, not fighting my craptastic 2.HATE