Looking to gain 1-2" plus carrying capacity in the rear

I am looking for an effective way to gain 1-2" of lift in the rear end of my '86. Right now it is running stock 4wd leaf springs and Chevy lowering shackles. I am happy with the ride height the truck is at now, but anticipate I will loose about 1" of ride height when I swap the D35 for a 8.8 on Ruff Stuff perches (staying SUA in stock configuration). My stock leaf springs are pretty soft and sag quite a bit with a light load in the bed. I'd love to reduce the amount it sags with a load as well.

After reading through several AAL and bastard pack threads, I believe I have come up with a decent plan to gain a little lift and carrying capacity. I will use my 4wd MJ main leaf followed by a 2wd MJ main leaf with the eyelets cut off as the AAL. Beneath the AAL will be the rest of the 4wd leaf pack. I believe this will accomplish what I am after since the 2wd leaf pack has more free arch than the 4wd pack has with the weight of the truck on it. If the resulting leaf pack yields more lift than I need, I can correct that with the shackles.

I've never tried my hand at building a leaf pack. Let me know if my line of thought is correct.

Have you thought about getting metric ton springs?

Absolutely. A new set of MT springs would be great..... but they are kind of pricey for this budget build. I know several members here have had great success building their own leaf packs for their trucks and I would like to do the same.

First, since you are happy with the current height of the truck, I would measure it, so you know how high you are with reference to exactly what.  Might also want to put 500 lbs in the bed and measure it again.

Second, I would measure the truck height after you change the axle, exactly the same way you did before.  Then put that same 500 lbs back in the truck and measure it also.

Third, I would buy a set of air shock.  I would use the air shock to see how they work to slightly improve the road height with the truck empty and with that 500 pound load.  Bet you don't have to do anything else to get the truck back to the same height you want.

After reading through several AAL and bastard pack threads, I believe I have come up with a decent plan to gain a little lift and carrying capacity. I will use my 4wd MJ main leaf followed by a 2wd MJ main leaf with the eyelets cut off as the AAL. Beneath the ALL will be the rest of the 4wd leaf pack. I believe this will accomplish what I am after since the 2wd leaf pack has more free arch than the 4wd pack has with the weight of the truck on it.  If the resulting leaf pack yields more lift than I need, I can correct that with the shackles.

I've never tried my hand at building a leaf pack. Let me know if my line of thought is correct.

Using a second set of main leaves in an XJ for an AAL usually results in a lift of 1-1/2". The one time I did it, using a set of older donor leaves in a spring set that was sagged 1/2" below stock, I got a total lift of 1-1/4", resulting in a net gain of 3/4" higher than stock. I think you're on the right track.

Iirc they give 1-2" lift over reg springs & increase your load rating.

They shouldn't. MT springs are supposed to ride at the same height as standard springs, unloaded. They just have more carrying capacity. If aftermarket "metric ton" springs result in lift -- they weren't made correctly.

Iirc they give 1-2" lift over reg springs & increase your load rating.

They shouldn't. MT springs are supposed to ride at the same height as standard springs, unloaded. They just have more carrying capacity. If aftermarket "metric ton" springs result in lift -- they weren't made correctly.

Interesting. I remember reading in a few places around here they will net you an inch or so of lift, Although they might have meant compared to stock worn out leafs.