clutch question

my 88 5 spd, clutch is very short ( low ) it almost feels like gone, but its not, ive replaced every single engine gasket and seal but yet I have a oil or gear fluid leak coming from the bell housing (not motor oil) not from the rear main seal but from inside the bell housing, I have a feeling its the front shaft seal for the tranny, and yes, its wining on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th not on 4th gear. any ideas before I start tearing into this? or wait till it fries and upgrade ? :)

thanks.

good write up, but I don't have a leak in the cab, I don't have a soft pedal, just low and short, and getting shorter ( distance to press pedal before its all the way down) I know they clutch is not hydraulically connected, but I`m pretty sure the slave or some seal went out since the leak comes from the front of the tranny and stinks like gear fluid too. lol, but ill check the mc tomorrow anyways, maybe I missed something, also need to work on the turn signals! simple stuff is what gets me! haha!!

thanks for the info and if any other ideas please send them my way!! ;)

You do have an internal slave right?

Sounds like that is the culprit.

If so you have to pull the trans back to get it. But you might get lucky, I had one that was leaking that turned out to be a faulty O-ring.

If its an internal slave the little pin that holds the slave in probably broke off. Had the same thing happen on my 88. I drilled the hole out and tapped it and now its being held in place by a 1/4-20 bolt and I don't think my clutch ever worked so well. The rubber hose was deteriorating which made the brake fluid look like gear lube out if the trans. But because the slave was flopping around on the input shaft it tore up the seals and eventually blew out completely on morning at school

I have a oil or gear fluid leak coming from the bell housing (not motor oil) not from the rear main seal but from inside the bell housing,

How do you know it's not the rear main seal? Where do you think the rear main seal would leak other than into the bellhousing?

I have a oil or gear fluid leak coming from the bell housing (not motor oil) not from the rear main seal but from inside the bell housing,

How do you know it's not the rear main seal? Where do you think the rear main seal would leak other than into the bellhousing?

OP says not motor oil;...........unless he is running \\tranny/brake/hydraulic fluid in the motor..........

• 2 weeks later...

and the fact that i've replaced the rear main, and  I actually know what I`m doing, just trying to get some chime in,   and that it was not the slave ,  it was the clutch master cylinder after all,  like yxmj said, which was my diag anyways due to the pedal return I had, the fluid leak was from old gear fluid still in the bell housing, seal is good, just flushed it and good,  didn't have to drop tranny,

actually my friend, the rear main seal normally (and that's like 10/10 ) leak in front of the bell housing,(outside)  not into the bell housing due to the rear main seal is located in the rear of the engine which is located in front of the tranny, outside of the tranny and cover plate, even when you drop the oil pan to replace it, it never goes into the tranny, ( why its called the "engine rear main seal") if you have a oil leak from the engine into the tranny or "bell housing" you sir, have a BIGGER problem than a rear main seal. :) still plausible.lol

God Bless.

Things I replaced reguarding this that didn't do a thing:

Valve cover gasket

Clutch fluid line

Rear main seal

Oil pan plug

Oil pan gasket

Oil filter adapter o-ring

The two things I did at the same time that resulted in the final fix:

Replaced throwout bearing (along with the pressure plate, clutch plate, and flywheel)

Sealed oil pan gasket loop that runs under the rear bearing cap with Permatex Ultra Grey

Although the inside of the bell housing was coated with something tarry, I really don't think it was Dot3 from the throwout bearing.  I think tiny amounts of oil from the crankcase got around the oil pan gasket and ran down both side of the spacer plate into the bell housing over the years.  Naturally no one nowadays knows what a bell housing or throwout bearing is.  Tranny seal?  Absolutely no evidence of leaking.