In-line fuel pump

I am in the process of doing the 97+ conversion to my comanche. I only have 1 more hurdle and that is the fuel pump/sending unit. Vapor canister is mounted under bed, EVAP lines ran ect. I have read on here to use 98 cherokee pump in the comanche sending unit, or to use the assembly from cherokee and cut hole in tank. I have a new tank(no slosh pan) and ring to use oem cherokee pump, but thought about an inline pump. 

Can you guys think of any reason not to pursue this? What PSI pump should I look for? gpm? My plan was to use comanche sending unit in stock tank, but remove pump and bypass through SU....

Or should i just use new assembly for cherokee in new tank and be done with it. Not trying to reinvent the wheel, but i don't like the idea of dropping the tank to change pump, which will be required with the new set up. Has anyone tried to use stock xj tank/pump assembly and fab up mounts? 

Thanks for your help

jake

Thanks hornbrod...i'm not sure why i never found that thread. I now have an E2000 pump that i will be installing. I'm going to bypass filter in stock unit and run the inline. I like the thought that if i do have to change fuel pump it'll only take a few minutes.

thanks again!

Since I got rid off the bed on Wilbur I also got rid of the stock tank and installed a used fuel cell that was set up for a carbureted engine (circle track). Drilled one more hole for the return line and used an in-line pump I got from Summit Racing for $85. Works like a charm with my 87 Renix 4.0.

Don't have the part number for that pump handy, but can probably find it again if I look for it.

I'm currently running an inline pump with no issues at all.  Here's the best tip I can offer to make it simple.  First off, you'll need an inline pump that can handle 50psi.  Any gpm rating will likely be fine, pretty much any inline injecton pump will flow enough fuel for a stock 4.0.  When you plumb it in, set the pump up to pull from the return line on the tank, and return to the supply line on the tank.  This way you can just remove the stock pump, and put a sock on the bottom of the return line as it reaches to the bottom of the tank and no other modification is required there.  Other than that it's just a matter of rerouting the wires and picking a spot to mount the pump

I used a sock i had laying around from an old rx7, that just slips over the end of the tube.  84 rx7 with the 1.1/1.2 engine used an inline pump from factory, with the same size tube going into the tank.  If you can find a sock for one of those, it'll go right on.  Otherwise you may have to do what I did on a few nissans.  Cut a couple inches off the end of the return line inside the tank, clamp on a 1" piece of rubber hose, and cut the bottom end off a standard clear plastic fuel filter so it sits down at the bottom of the tank.  Cut along this red line, adjust the hose clamps till it's just not quite touching the bottom of the tank....

As far as there being a rubber bushing, I have no idea.  Mine simply had a hard metal line going to the bottom of the tank, with no bushing on the end and no bracket inside the tank. Works great.  If yours has those, you'll have to remove them.  The only rubber bushings in mine, were on the other line, the supply line, for mounting the pump without transferring noisy vibrations into the cab

Worked great! I didn't put a sock or filter in the tank, i just put a filter inline before pump. I didn't think about swapping return for feed lines. Its all in and working now. I will have to drop tank again to pull bed when I start body work, ill get back in the tank and might rethink it. On a side note, I just ordered a BBK 62mm throttle body today. I have K&N CAI and free flow muffler. Have you guys had and experience with the throttle body, I've heard great things about bored throttle bodies, but not necessarily this brand. To make exhaust more free flow, can I remove CAT on a 98 system and get away with it, or will it interfere with Oxygen Sensor's? 

Thanks for the help guys!

WoOn a side note, I just ordered a BBK 62mm throttle body today. I have K&N CAI and free flow muffler. Have you guys had and experience with the throttle body, I've heard great things about bored throttle bodies, but not necessarily this brand. To make exhaust more free flow, can I remove CAT on a 98 system and get away with it, or will it interfere with Oxygen Sensor's? 

62mm BBK throttle body on an 01 intake manifold along with a 1996 TB-mounted MAP sensor. This setup works well on the stroker.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/41929-installing-a-1996-throttle-body-mounted-m-a-p-sensor/?hl=map

Worked great! I didn't put a sock or filter in the tank, i just put a filter inline before pump. I didn't think about swapping return for feed lines. Its all in and working now. I will have to drop tank again to pull bed when I start body work, ill get back in the tank and might rethink it. On a side note, I just ordered a BBK 62mm throttle body today. I have K&N CAI and free flow muffler. Have you guys had and experience with the throttle body, I've heard great things about bored throttle bodies, but not necessarily this brand. To make exhaust more free flow, can I remove CAT on a 98 system and get away with it, or will it interfere with Oxygen Sensor's? 

Thanks for the help guys!

So what'd you do to get the feed line to reach the bottom of the tank?  The stock feed line only reaches down so far, you'd run out of gas at half a tank, which is why I suggested using the return line