Opinions Needed

Okay so in y'all's opinions what is the best set up for air intake and why? I was looking at an intake with an inline filter earlier... I found the concept interesting and I don't know enough about it to know how it would compare to a cold air intake or the factory set up.

If you go offroad with it, I would get a 'cold air intake' of some sort just to raise the filter up higher.  If you don't, the stock setup is probably fine.  I have't read anything that proves you get any power increases from an aftermarket intake on the 4.0

I have been modifying the stock air boxes on mine like this for quite some time and am happy with them.

I use a K&N Filter and cut out the side(fender side) and cover it with mesh. The size of the hole is up to you.

It adds more air flow than the stock opening while allowing protection and a stock look.

Use the stock, factory air intake.  Also use the stock type air filters.  Best for long engine life and for well filtered air.

K & N air filters do not do a good job of trapping small particles, so your engine eats more "dirt".  Horse power increase claims are mostly just that, claims not supported by anything.  And ZERO for any car run in the real world.  IF, the K & N type filter was worth anything at all in the "real world", auto makers some where in the world would use them in their expensive, high performace cars.

But you don't see them used by any manufacturer, do you?

Want to do something useful?  Measure the temperature of the air going into the stock filter.  Then find a source for colder air and route it to the stock air filter.  Don't forget to get back to us with the before and after temperature readings under the same driving conditions.  Cold air works.  That is why you see intercoolers on turbocharged engines from the factory.

I don't disagree with your statement about cold air working.  But that's not a fair comparison.  A turbo charged car will have an intercooler to cool the air before it goes into the engine, but it does a much different job than putting a cold air intake that sucks 5 degree colder air in does.  The turbo will add a significant amount of heat to the air it is compressing and the intercooler removes that heat, I don't know the numbers, but I assume its probably 75-100+ degrees cooler coming out of the intercooler.   Your cold air intake will pull heat from another source under the hood that is maybe 5-10 degrees cooler.

I have been modifying the stock air boxes on mine like this for quite some time and am happy with them.

I use a K&N Filter and cut out the side(fender side) and cover it with mesh. The size of the hole is up to you.

It adds more air flow than the stock opening while allowing protection and a stock look.

What is the mesh that you used to cover the new hole you cut?

Use the stock, factory air intake. Also use the stock type air filters. Best for long engine life and for well filtered air.

K & N air filters do not do a good job of trapping small particles, so your engine eats more "dirt". Horse power increase claims are mostly just that, claims not supported by anything. And ZERO for any car run in the real world. IF, the K & N type filter was worth anything at all in the "real world", auto makers some where in the world would use them in their expensive, high performace cars.

But you don't see them used by any manufacturer, do you?

Want to do something useful? Measure the temperature of the air going into the stock filter. Then find a source for colder air and route it to the stock air filter. Don't forget to get back to us with the before and after temperature readings under the same driving conditions. Cold air works. That is why you see intercoolers on turbocharged engines from the factory.

Okay I'll look into measuring that temp, I have my truck pulled apart in my driveway right now so as soon as I get the parts I'm waiting on and I can start it up again I'll let you know what I get.

The slang term for the mesh is "50 points".....I think that comes from the math that in one squar inch of material 50%+ is open. I got mine from a place I used to work that made corigated grills out of it for Versitile tractors. So I would assume a tractor JY would have some.

People can bad mouth K&N all they want but if you are dillegent you can clean and oil your filter yourself and make it last for years..... :thumbsup:

The slang term for the mesh is "50 points".....I think that comes from the math that in one squar inch of material 50%+ is open. I got mine from a place I used to work that made corigated grills out of it for Versitile tractors. So I would assume a tractor JY would have some.

People can bad mouth K&N all they want but if you are dillegent you can clean and oil your filter yourself and make it last for years..... :thumbsup:

Okay thanks

Like Blue XJ said above...it is about the cool air. Thats why I cut the air box on the fender side away from the heat of the motor. If you look it, you also open it up also close to the headlight hole and a couple other openings that will draw cool are from outside.