Vacuum Line Mess On A 1987 Renix

Hey Guys,

I need your knowledge. I picked up a Renix a few weeks ago that is barely running. Right off the bar I knew it was missing a ton of vacuum lines. My replacement harnesses finally came in but I don't know where they connect to. I tried winging it and I know it's wrong. I tried reading a diagram but I won't lie, I don't know how to read it, I'm better at looking at photos of another's lines or any guidance you guys can give. Also there is a place tube that goes against the drivers side fire wall and ends near the air box. No idea where it goes. I also have the third line from cruisers yqamejut.jpgbagytyhy.jpgtuqunyme.jpggebatesa.jpgqemuru8e.jpgemeqajaz.jpg5ypa8y2u.jpge7yzeha3.jpgdupezy8a.jpg4e2ybura.jpgada8uvur.jpgrenix tips from napa auto parts but have no idea where it goes. It's the last pic. Any help would be great.

Thanks, Mike

Well, you're almost there.

Start at the front of the fuel rail with the short vac line.  One end goes on the fuel pressure regulator, the other goes to the front nipple on the intake manifold.

In one of these pictures you're holding the bigger vac hose with the u-turn in it.  The straight end goes into the hard plastic tube on the drivers fender, the other end goes UNDER the intake tube and attaches to the air box.

On the plastic vac coupler, one tube goes to the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve, one goes to the BACK of the air box, one goes to the EGR solenoid on the fender..  ..

the lat picture is the MAP line.  It goes from the MAP sensor on the firewall to the throttle body.  There are two holes in the rubber grommet on the TB, one goes all the way thru, the other is just a plug, or keeper.

OK, I think the one I told you was the MAP line is incorrect.  I just saw the white tip so that is your CCV line.  Goes from the grommet on the rear of the valve cover to another nipple on the intake manifold.

The large line on the driver fender come from the airbox, uner the tube, to the hard plastic line.  then the hard line goes under the washer fluid tank, takes a turn along the firewall behine the engine to the charcoal cannoster.  Fumes get sucked up from your fuel tank come through the cannister, to the air box, into the intake to be burned up.

The other fat line (from the front of the airbox) is set up correctly, it creates a flow from the valve cover to the intake manifold via the small metered line in the BACK of the valve cover.

Any of that make sense.

EDIT: Cruiser, I didn't read your post, it popped up between computer glitches

Thanks for the clarification paradise, also thanks for the diagrams Cruiser. I think I have it figured out. Let me know what you guys think. I'm not sure about the line I attached to the EGR. The PO had a line run from the vacuum motor (I think that's what it is) to the EGR, I changed it an attached the vacuum line from the harness. The last picture shows the POs line.

So I did all of this, when I got the truck it was running really rough, now it's not even starting. Any ideas? I did the plugs, rotor, cap, oil change, air filter, new battery, new vacuum lines, refreshed the dip stick ground, and cleaned the tar out of the c101. These vacuum lines are either wrong, or the firing order is wrong but I followed the order out of the Haynes Manuel. I don't think I screwed up the rotor location because it would not move. Only thing left would be to do a top dead center on cylinder 1. Unless these vacuum lines are wrong, would that stop it from starting? Another thought is a fuel delivery issue. Might be time to send it to a professional. Oy. e4uhe7az.jpgyhavu7am.jpg6aga8yqy.jpgy3ybemy2.jpgre2una2e.jpgu2ara5yt.jpgjydyrava.jpg

I think you have it mostly figured out but.... I have an 88 with all factory vacuum stuff as far as I can tell. I can take pics of whatever you need, just let me know.

p.s. The firing order is also embossed right into the intake manifold.

One hose comes off the harness and goes to the EGR.  From the EGR, or the servo next to it, then off to the solenoid.

The firing order is correct EXCEPT it looks like 4 is where 1 should be.  Use the 1 printed on the cap as the starting point.  If you used the 1 in the manual, it's likely off by one (5-3-6-2-4-1), which would cause either a no start or a very rough running engine. 

...and just to belabor the point the REAL firing order is written right, it's just the starting point is off in the diagram...so 1-5-3-6-2-4 is correct, considering that you start at the right spot.

Holy $#!&! Got her to fire up and it's glorious, it's the quietest she has ever been! Down side though, she fired up high RPMs, tries to drop down, and stalls out. No idea what to do now. So the firing order is correct and thanks to paradiseMJ, cruiser and dainternetguy my vacuum lines are correct, no idea what to trouble shoot next. I refreshed the dip stick ground. I've been trying to refresh the braided line on the block but it's not coming loose off the block at all. Any other ideas on what it could be?