Powermaster Alternator?

Has anyoone here used a powermaster alternator?

I am thinking of getting a high output alternator and this is the one I came across on ebay that outputs 170 amps with power and 110 and idle... i think is better than those 90/60 or 117/80 out there... I am not sure which one I have, but at power my truck shows 14 volts, and idle it lowers to 12.5 or something close to that. So, i am guessing this could be a good functional upgrade.

has anyone of you used this one, or have a better alternator I could use?

my truck is a 2000 jeep comanche ( i did the 2000 swap from a jeep cherokee, lol; so any upgrades have to be for a 2000 jeep 4.0l engine, harness, ecu, etc

This is the one I used - fits 1991 and up XJ/MJ 4.0 HO engines, was bolt-in PnP for me. It's a 136A alt, and with upgraded mains cables and terminals, it handles the dual e-fans, all power accessories, H4 headlamps, and the rest of the electrical load with no problems. It's all I need and it can be found on many vehicles. Unless you need a 170A alternator for some reason. I doubt that you do.

I heard of the 136 amp.... and if that does it for you it should do for me, I do have dual electric fans, h7 headlights, sound system, and it is not like mine is dying is just something that I think I would need to upgrade some day near. and came a cross that 170 amp alternator on ebay but I have my doubts.. some reviews say it is great, others it sucks...

btw you really are active on this boards hornbrod thanks a lot, its nice to have someone that gives advice actively over here.

it is well appreciated.

You may just need to upgrade your cables, the positive one from your alternator to the battery and the body ground.  Are you measuring from your battery or just talking about your gauge on the cluster?  What battery are you using?  Are the electric fans run off relays with at least 10 gauge wire directly to the battery?  Those will pull almost 60 amps together on startup.  Maybe a SPAL fan controller will help, it uses variable speed to load and unload so the inrush current isn't as much.

Unless you winch A LOT, the 136A alternator is plenty. I have a tone of lights on my ZJ along with a 1000w amp for my system and it handles everything pretty well. I did upgrade my harnesses for my headlights and spent time soldering all of mt connections, which may or may not help (did it mainly because I have a slight case of OCD). I also run an Optima Yellow-top battery, FWIW.

thanks to all... I am running an optima yellow top battery, and I am reading from gauge on cluster and directly from battery... and they both are pretty consistent on the numbers...

I am running a 400 watts amp for subwofer, a 350 watts amp for the speakers (which , pair of hella 700ff lights that I don't turn on just once in a while, a couple of 4 inch fog lights, just like the ones from the wrangler (don't remember wattage but around 100 watts), and the spec-d tuning headlights which have H7 light bulbs at 55 watts each, thats 110 watts total... leds, amber turn lights, I am really not running that excessive accesories.

Electric fans, the left is the OEM from the 2000 cherokee, and the one that replaced the clutch fan is a Zirgo electric fan (ZFB16S - 16" Zirgo 3000 fCFM High Performance Blu Cooling Fan), both running on relays with 10 gauge wire and everything, professionally installed.

btw, I think I have the 117 amp alternator from the 2000 jeep cherokee xj donor, at least thats the one I remember putting with the exchange of parts.

I am going to try the upgrading of the cables and see what is happening.

thanks

Upgrading the mains cables and terminals is always a good idea. Along with cleaning up the connections. I used a Jon Kelly cable kit specific for my rig when I did mine. I don't think there's a better place for both quality and price to get specific HD mains cables for our Jeeps.

http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/electric.html

EDIT: I posted something useless here before.

I went to the junkyard and got two 136A alternators from Dodge Dakota or Durango, they were both 99s so I have a plug instead of rings now. No big deal. I probably should have looked a little harder for earlier ones but I'm easy, it'll work.