Dash Dismantle Headaches

I need to get into the dash to replace the heater core and evap core (leaking), I have a couple questions:

First, just want to make sure it is completely necessary to remove the ENTIRE dash to get to these... Would love to avoid it but I fear that is not an option.

Second, does anyone have or know of a video or step by step instructions on removal? I don't want to break or damage anything as parts, especially interior parts, are few and far between where I live.

And third, I would love to hear any tips you guys have for this project.

Thanks

That is an excellent link for doing the job.

I must have taken these things out 25 times if I done it once...and the thing that breaks the most is the small plastic extrusion on the bottom of the HVAC housing that holds the blend door cable in place. I have had to 'rebuild' them with sheet metal in a pinch.....

Awesome, I will definitely be attempting the second write up first since I have no real desire to deal with all that electrical on the other side of the dash at the moment haha

Hope you have better luck finding an evarporator core than I'm having.  Had one on order since April from jeep4x4center.  Told me 60-90day wait.  Tried Rockauto but the one they supplied didn't look like my old one, nor could I get it to fit.  Thought found one on ebay but order was canceled due to being out of stock...... 

I checked out teamcherokee like you suggested and the a/c evaporator they have has the correct connection location. They're staggered and not in line and that's what I need BUT the coils are vertical. My old one the coils are horizontal. Why does that matter? The capillary tube is like six inches long and needs to be inserted into the back. You'll see the tube in the front of your heater box. I'd be interested to see how capillary tube works with that core. Thanks.

I don't know that the orientation of the coils does matter, as long as it is the correct dimensions and connections... Don't quote me on that though, I'm not an "AC guy" as it were. I'd be interested to hear someone else's input

I had dealer installed a/c; the evaporator is smaller and the rockauto and jeepair.com cores are for factory air and won't fit in the airbox..  I ended up yanking a factory air box from the JY and swapping mine out.  Now the factory evaporator cores fit.

see my last update:  http://comancheclub.com/topic/41895-direction-unknown-build-87-25l-2wd/

Vertical coils are bad in refer systems that use r12...the lube in the freon will sit at the bottom of the coils, which is why the r12 use horizontal coils. The vertical coils actually allow for more surface area for the fan to blow through.

For some reason, while it's a minor concern with r134, it doesn't affect it nearly as much. Just update your system to r134 while you are at it.

Vertical coils are bad in refer systems that use r12...the lube in the freon will sit at the bottom of the coils, which is why the r12 use horizontal coils. The vertical coils actually allow for more surface area for the fan to blow through.

For some reason, while it's a minor concern with r134, it doesn't affect it nearly as much. Just update your system to r134 while you are at it.

Once again, you have taught me some invaluable information Pat.  That's really good to know.  Thanks. :bowdown:

I had dealer installed a/c; the evaporator is smaller and the rockauto and jeepair.com cores are for factory air and won't fit in the airbox.. I ended up yanking a factory air box from the JY and swapping mine out. Now the factory evaporator cores fit.

see my last update: http://comancheclub.com/topic/41895-direction-unknown-build-87-25l-2wd/

That is great information! Bad news for me lol but good info. I'm pretty sure I also have the wrong evap core and there isn't a junk yard within 100 miles of me that has any Cherokee's from the years '86-'98... Disheartening of course because I will have to ship back the one I have and order the proper one.

While on the topic, I have my whole original AC system pulled out, will it cause any damage to the new compressor( not hooked up to anything but the mount and the belt) to run the truck without the rest of the system hooked up until I receive the proper core? Like I said I don't know a lot about AC components

Okay thanks. I just can't leave the whole the pulled apart not running while I wait on the core.

It took a little over a week for the first one to get here and there were no options to accelerate the shipping process.