Problem After Trans Swap

I swapped in a 95 4wd aw4 into my 90 MJ which was previously 2wd aw4. After bolting everything up the engine is locked up like something is binding. I pulled the inspection cover and saw this.

I tried loosening all the bolts and wiggling things to see if anything would get the flywheel to move and I had no luck. It seems almost like my flywheel is pushed up against the block and refuses to move. Got any ideas on things to try or things to look at to solve this?

My first guess is that torque converter is not fully seated onto the input shaft. It slides on then you have. to wiggle it around to get it to slip on fully. Even if properly seated it could have slid forward during installation.

If that isn't the issue but you had the flex plate (flywheels are used on manual transmissions) off for the swap is it dished so that it would be possible that it could have been re-attached to the crankshaft backwards? I did this exact same swap last week and had no such issue. I left the original flexplate attached to the engine the whole time.

The third thought is that the snout on the converter did not seat into the crankshaft and then you bent the flex plate back when you tightened the bolts.

Sorry but it looks like the tranny will probably have to come back out.

The "nose" of the torque converter needs to be about 1.5" inside the bell housing.  Use a straight edge to span the bell housing and see where the nose sits.  Seating the TC is muuuch easier with the tranny out.  When I swapped the AW4 into my MJ I had to pullit back out 3 times (yes, I'm a dork) to make sure the TC was seated, then the old crank bolts were too long, then I found the inspection plate was bent.  It looks like your insp. plate is also bent up.

Maybe need to pull the tranny again.  Sad to say.

^^ that . Except for the second part , the flexplate has the outer ring making it not possible to flip around .

When installing the tc in the trans, rotate the tc until it "clicks" 3 times into the trans .

x2  And odds are that if the torque converter wasn't seated fully and you forced the bolts down to tighten it, you could have damaged the pump in the trans. 

If you used the torque converter that came with the new trans, make sure the snout is the same diameter.   I doubt they would be any different, but its one more thing to check.

Pulled everything out and just wanted to update this thread. My problem was the torque converter not being seated properly. Had to pull it all out again but just reinstalled it with no such problems this time, thanks everyone.