Fast Idle At Start And Running

Cruiser, been reading around. I saw some who said their 4.0 sounded like a diesel. That sounds like mine. I'm wonder if I should try replacing the oil pump. Also intrigued by your suggest to another to run mystery oil for a thousand miles. Thoughts.

Btw I'd like to get the engine rebuilt inside of the next 3 years and figure this noise is annoying but not likely to result in engine failure. Soon I might just turn up the radio and start working on my leaf springs.

BTW - I do have a mechanic stethoscope. I tried it and don't know enough about engines to understand what I'm hearing. I would describe the predominant sound I hear is ticking. this morning I listened with the steth all around the engine. At numerous spots around the valve cover I hear what I believe valve train noise. Sounds the same to me no matter were I put it. If I put in on the oil filter I hear a rattle. If I put in on the pan I hear that ratter louder and it seems to be especially loud around the oil pump. I've read a few post suggesting putting in high pressure oil pump. the dash gauge is pretty steady at 40lbs. Again I'm close to moving on to other issues. D

I had the Valve Cover off a few weeks ago to clean out the gunk in the CCV. Everything had a dark brown coating but I don't recall seeing sludge. Certainly not like some of the pics I saw. I had also hired a shop to change the Rear main seal, pan gasket and Valve Cover gasket. They never said anything about sludge. I carefully read through the Flex plate write up you sent me. I'm embarrassed to say I tightened 3 bolts then reported back to you that I complete the flex plate bolts. Yes I said 3. When I get a chance I'm getting back in there and will carefully look for cracks as per "the leave one bolt on" write up and will insure all 4 bolts are tight. I'm afraid I suffer from a little ADHD once in a while.

BTW - My daily driver is a 2005 Audi s4. I'm getting a cam shaft over advance code and misfire in cylinders 1, 2, and 3. replacing the cam shaft position sensor didn't help. I'm dropping it off at the German auto place tonight. I'm told thiscould set me back $2K to $10K depending on what parts are bad. I might have to hit the pause button on my 'Manchee for a couple of months. Pray for me.

I was thinking I was going to have to spend $4-$6K to fix a chain tensioner on my audi. Ran some seafoam during a round trip seattle to portland. I am now at 5+ hours of driving with out a CEL. looks like it was some sludge the tensioner. :) 

Back to my manchee. I got in there and carefully checked the flex plate and re-tighten all 4 bolts. No change in sound. I then took the wand off my mechanics steth and really listened around. was a lot easier to isolate the sound. I'm hearing a loud (wok wok wok) noise that seems to be strongest at the front of the oil pan, but, can hear it anywhere on the oil pan. It only seems to be present near idle. rev it up a bit and it seems to go away.

Today I picked my Audi up at the shop, Steve, the mechanic came out a listened to my jeep. He walked away saying he thinks it's slack in the timing chain. Only rubbing at low RPM, then tightening at higher RPM. That sure sounds plausible and now I swear if I close my eyes I can here the sound of a chain rubbing on metal. I'm thinking it wouldn't be that hard to replace the chain and even if that didn't stop the sound it couldn't hurt to update.

What say you?

Hey d, can you post a pic of your twist on the C101 elimination? I cleaned my C101 and am debating on eliminating it. I have the soldering skills but I want my truck to look stock, it sounds like your procedure would be perfect for me :thumbsup:

I started into testing the sensors now that my ground is good. the O2 sensor was showing infinite ohms and the knock sensor was broken in pieces. I replaced both and after starting it ran really fast for a while then settle down. I rechecked the TPS. I would swear the knocking sounds is reduced. It still seems to be idling a little fast, but, I still don't have a tach.

I adjusted the tps again and all seems fine now. Btw just approved $2k to have my ac compressor replaced in my audi. Won't know if the drier etc Will need to be replaced until he gets the front of the car totally off. Gives me new respect for how reliable and easy my jeeps are.