Coolant/head Gasket Repair Cost

I'm helping my friend purchase an '89 from craigslist and decided I needed some more advice before moving on the truck.

Seller reports truck was running fine till a month after add was posted. It's the 4.0L 161,000 and an open cooling system 

Then it started over heating and he first suspected the sensor was sticking, then thought it might be air in the cooling system.

Now he believes it has a blown head gasket due to the severity of the leak, but it still runs. 

Any thoughts on the cost of such a repair by a professional mechanic?

Not sure on the cost for a professional mechanic to do it but a head gasket is a relatively simple thing to do on these engines. First thing I'd check when looking at the rig is see if there's oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. If not then start the engine to see if it smokes, if it's leaking into the cylinders it would be white smoke i believe as it tries to burn off the coolant. If it doesn't exhibit either of those then it's likely one of the freeze plugs on the block leaking, possible water pump, or could be hose to water pump doesn't have the spring inside and could be collapsing restricting the flow. If you don't see visible signs of it leaking and dripping on the ground, there's no smoke or cross contamination then it's a pretty easy fix just takes some diagnosing. Even if the head gasket is blown and it's getting in the oil these engines are easy to pull the head and replace the gasket over a weekend for even a novice with basic hand tools.

$150 in parts if you do it yourself.

$450-550 if a shop does it.

Beware- coolant in the oil could have caused bearing failure........or the head could be cracked.......or block............you will not know until you take it apart.

Condition and price.......

It is not that one, it's in North Carolina. I appreciate the advice and it confirms what I thought as well. He said it doesn't appear to be burning coolant right now and no cross contamination so probably a simple fix. As long as the block is not cracked I think its a good by for a $500 professional repair. (I would attempt it myself, but friends truck, friends rules  :laughin: .....)

It is not that one, it's in North Carolina. I appreciate the advice and it confirms what I thought as well. He said it doesn't appear to be burning coolant right now and no cross contamination so probably a simple fix. As long as the block is not cracked I think its a good by for a $500 professional repair. (I would attempt it myself, but friends truck, friends rules  :laughin: .....)

Probably this one:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4389097234.html

Probably this one:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4389097234.html

Spot on, haven't heard anything back from them yet and its been up for a month so who knows  :dunno: