Jag Is Rear End

Has anybody installed, or even thought about installing a Jag independent rear end under a MJ? Wanting flex, I'm thinking that sucker would flex like a wet noodle. Thinking maybe the biggie would be matching gears. Specifically the one I have in mind is a '88 XJ6. Got a chance to pick it up dirt cheap.  Curious minds want to know.  :dunno:  :hmm:  :???:

Your thinking is flawed. Flex on an independent suspension is dictated by the length of the a arms, and that their mounting location is as close to center of vehicle as possible so as to allow the arms maximum length and range of motion.

The jag rear end wouldn't give you any of that. I dare say that it would flex more than 50% less than the stock leaf sprung rear. The jag was designed for handling...it is stiff sprung with low range of movement and appropriate valving to give a softer ride while maintaining maneuverability.

The gears are the easy part. IIRC, those jag centersections are D44's. Like Jeepco said, the trick will be designing a suspension with arms that are long enough to get decent travel. It can be done, but your MJ will be on the extra-wide end of the spectrum. Not only that, but you're going to have to source some very, very tough cv shafts. With all that said.... do it! Baja race trucks and KOH truggies use IRS and IFS set ups and they work amazingly well for high speed rough stuff.

If the $$ is right it could be worth somthing.....the Hot Rod guys eat them up.....very robust....in-board disc brakes...indy susepention...makes for a desiriable street rod rear end......again if the price is right.

FWIW, I've seen sone Tacoma guys use a suspension verybsimilar to that street rod's in their prerunner style street rigs. If I had an IFs truck that I planned to use for the street and in the sand, I'd do it. I imagine that wheel hop is pretty much non-existant with a set up like that.