Building My Dream Jeep. 1981 Cj-8 Scrambler

I watched this Scrambler up for sale on a local forum for a while. It had an Atlas t-case, Monster transmission 700r4 and a 400hp SBC 355ci. The owner had tens of thousand invested in it and was asking 15K. It floated on the for sale section for about a year. The owner dropped the price a few times all the way down to 9k with still no bites. That was still out of my Jeeping budget. Then he finally decided to pull the drivetrain and sell it as a roller. Well, all the planets aligned and I was able to scrape up the cash to buy it. I scored the deal of the century and now own the Jeep I have wanted since I was 14 years old.

Here are some specs:

1981 Jeep CJ-8 Laredo

Rust free Texas Jeep w/ 40K miles, set up for SBC,

Advanced adapters radiator, trans cooler, power steering cooler.

Ram 2500 master cylinder, PSC steering box, Rubicon express steering box brace and frame brace.

Poison Spyder front stinger bumper, Warn rear bumper, LED tail lights

4.5" lift, full Autometer gauges in custom Double D dash, Ididit tilt steering column, B&M shifter, Kenwood deck and speakers

And the cherry on top...........

Currie 9" front and rear 31 spline w/ Yukon 4.10 gears.

Brand new Falken Wildpeak A/Ts on 15x10 Soft 8 wheels.

I just so happened to have a buddy parting his one ton YJ so I bought his Vortec 5.7L and 4L60e with AA tail housing and output. I have to do a little wiring but it should be an easy swap. I am planning on running a D300 behind it.

The new engine.

The tear down begins.

Just a little wiring to be done.

After first fitment of the engine it became clear the engine mounts need to come forward, The distributor of the Vortec 350 hits the firewall. Also the trans mount needs to be relocated. The Advanced adapters tail housing is longer than the factory 4L06e/700R4. I already knew this going into the swap so no surprise there.