Leaky diff

my diff is leaking fluid from the (this seems weird to me, as its not logical) the pinion.

Right at the yoke, its leaking down and running down the underside of my diff. I lost maybe a shotglass worth of fluid lastnight.

Obviously this requires a seal, bit I can't exactly replace that myself.

so my question is. What kind of fluid does a D35 in a 1989 MJ require?

Takes at least 80/90 gear oil, unless someone put synthetic in there. Seal isn't too hard to change, but a shop should only charge a max of one hour labor to do it, plus parts. Be sure yoke isn't too badly grooved, or seal won't , well, seal.

I have the same problem except worse...and I can't get mine off with an impact gun on the air compressor.

time for a torch to heat it up...i gotta get it fixed, it's leaking the real nice synthetic gear oil...which makes me sad.

Get a big old peice of pipe and let the leverage help you get the Spline nut off. Then when you put it all back on Ive heard that you need to buy a new nut because its a crush nut. People locktite them on as well.

A few days before you are ready to do it, soak it with penetrating oil.

haha, i don't have a few days. and I have a set of 1" drive tools for use on semi trucks...the ratchet has extensions up to 5' in range, i couldn't get it loose with that.

torch.

colton, I'd say to pay to have it done.

oh yes, I'm going to.

I'm just going to get a good supply of diff oil and keep topping it up. I called the shop I use and they said they could squeeze me in Friday and I could get the truck back Saturday, yet I'm going to my girlfriend's for a big BBQ saturday

It was both :eek:

I stuffed the truck on some stands today and got underneath, the little rings that hold the DS ujoint to the yoke were loose, the pinion nut was loose.

So that makes 4 things loose. Fill plug, pinion nut, ds brackets and the entire diff cover (checked that lastnight)

lol, it could be the drain plug IF it starts leaking from the drain plug, then he parks the truck facing downhill...the oil could potentially follow the contour of the axle before leaking off....

damn physics.

have to be an awfully steep hill to get up to the pinion.

but you're right, I didn't think about parking on a hill.

It was both :eek:

I stuffed the truck on some stands today and got underneath, the little rings that hold the DS ujoint to the yoke were loose, the pinion nut was loose.

So that makes 4 things loose. Fill plug, pinion nut, ds brackets and the entire diff cover (checked that lastnight)

start looking for a new axle.

If the pinion nut was loose that means you were running the axle without the correct preload on the bearings.

It's incredibly likely that you've drastically cut the life of them short.

prepare for the worst, hope for the best.