Installing A 1996 Throttle Body Mounted MAP Sensor

I have a new 62mm throttle installed on the stroker and I want to mount a new MAP sensor on this as is done on 1996 and up 4.0L Jeep engines. The new throttle body has the vacuum line and bolt holes to mount the MAP. My question concerns the vacuum connection. The vacuum port on the throttle body looks like a 5/16" line, as in the first pic below. The rubber vacuum elbow on the MAP sensor appears much smaller than the throttle body vacuum line. My question is, since I've never seen a throttle body mounted MAP sensor, does the sensor rubber elbow slip inside the throttle body vacuum line or is it stretched over the outside of the line when mounting?  :hmm:  ASSume over but I don't like to assume and it looks to be a very tight fit. 

Sw6QCES.jpg

sFoUllR.jpg

ssoMa7d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this, I did fab up an extension cable from the stock MAP sensor harness on the firewall and ran it to a new throttle body mounted MAP sensor from a 96 XJ OBDII model (p/n 56028303). 1996 and up throttle bodies are a bolt-on mod for 91-92 HO MJs. Before installing it, I verified that the voltage outputs based on vacuum applied were the same as the firewall mounted 87-95 OBDI MAP sensors. The install took about an hour including making up the extension cable. In case it didn't work correctly, I used Weatherpack connectors so I could return to the old MAP easily. When complete, I started it up (it idled fine), waited for open-to-closed loop transition was complete, ran it around the block a few times, then shut it off and checked for any fault codes. There were none. I've run it now a few hundred miles with zero problems. It even seems to idle smoother than it did before. It's a cleaner install for the MAP w/o that long vacuum line from the firewall to the intake manifold that seems to get pulled off accidentally once in awhile when working in the area. And the newer throttle body MAPs are easier to find and cheaper too. The pics show the throttle body and MAP  mounted on my 1999+ intake manifold, but it will fit and work just fine for the older pre-1999 intake manifolds too.

Win - win mod I think. It's too bad the Renix throttle body has no provisions for mounting the MAP sensor, because all the MAP sensors from 87-95 (p/n 33000153) were the same and the 56028303 MAP would work just fine on a Renix too if you could mount it.

ulloM1E.jpg

BnwoacW.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hah :rolleyes:  this is very funny to me since I thought I would have a lot more trouble adapting the MAP than the TPS turns out its the other way around..

Thanks again hornbrod! :wavey:  Always helpful