Glove Box Connector?

What is the deal with the connector in the glove box next to the latch with two wires going to it? I searched a bit, but couldn't find anything out about it.

I'm guessing its for a light, but really I'm clueless.

edit- stole this picture from another thread

Dsc01165-small_original.jpg

UNL!MTD, What yr. is it, what color are wires & is connector the same as yours?

mjcanoe

looks pretty much identical, i think my plastic might be dark grey. I got an '87 and an '89 both have the connector but nothing else.

UNL1MTD, Pink & black wires, plugged into a lamp/switch combo that was sandwiched between g/b striker & g/b upper panel. When door shut latch would push in plunger & turn off lamp.

mjcanoe

Makes sense, does the bulb plug right into the grey connector? Just to be 100% here cause I feel like I'm completely blonde, there should be a bulb in this and when the glove box opens it should illuminate?

UNL1MTD, The bulb should be "194", we used to call them peanut bulbs. The connector plugs into the switch/lamp combo. When you look @ it from passenger seat, the connector would be inboard/ left side & the bulb would be outboard/right side w/bulb pointing into g/b. same as same vintage xj if you need one.

mjcanoe

So i lucked out, just no bulb. Without knowing what it was suppose to look like I was clueless. Thanks again for the pic and part number, my glove box will be all kinds of bright next time I open it.