I just bought an 88 Comanche 4.0l 5spd 2WD SWB. I would like to update the front end and the interior. I have found a 1998 Cherokee classic; the body is in good shape but the engine is locked up. Will I need to find one with a good motor in order to swap dash out? I read where the wiring harness is needed in order to swap the dash and have it functional. Is that correct? will the newer harness work with my current 88 4.0? I would like to update interior (dash, seats, center console. My motor is running but needs a good tune up. The 98 Cherokee classic is $500 with blown motor but tranny, transfer case and front and rear axel seem to be good and interior looks good as well. Any information would be great and help a new Comanche owner.

Thanks

Start here:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/30671-97-swap-how-to/

Will I need to find one with a good motor in order to swap dash out?

I suspect you could reuse your renix motor, but that is like putting rain drops back into a cloud.

I read where the wiring harness is needed in order to swap the dash and have it functional. Is that correct? will the newer harness work with my current 88 4.0?

Yes, you will need the ENTIRE XJ harness and components retrofitted to the MJ.

I would like to update interior (dash, seats, center console.

Since you want to update the dash, you are in for a lot of work. Several folks here have maintained their renix system and simply swapped the late model sheet metal, seats, console, etc.

The 98 Cherokee classic is $500 with blown motor but tranny, transfer case and front and rear axel seem to be good and interior looks good as well.

If you could talk to seller down to $300-400 you could easily find a replacement motor and have a great donor rig in great shape for less than $1K. Or flip the XJ and make some $$$ for MJ mods.

new to this forum so my search failed. I have a TJ and know how to work the jeepforum page not this one. thanks

Start here:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/30671-97-swap-how-to/

Will I need to find one with a good motor in order to swap dash out?

I suspect you could reuse your renix motor, but that is like putting rain drops back into a cloud.

I read where the wiring harness is needed in order to swap the dash and have it functional. Is that correct? will the newer harness work with my current 88 4.0?

Yes, you will need the ENTIRE XJ harness and components retrofitted to the MJ.

I would like to update interior (dash, seats, center console.

Since you want to update the dash, you are in for a lot of work. Several folks here have maintained their renix system and simply swapped the late model sheet metal, seats, console, etc.

The 98 Cherokee classic is $500 with blown motor but tranny, transfer case and front and rear axel seem to be good and interior looks good as well.

If you could talk to seller down to $300-400 you could easily find a replacement motor and have a great donor rig in great shape for less than $1K. Or flip the XJ and make some $$$ for MJ mods.

so could make it easier on myself and just fix/replace the steering column and steering wheel and the dash and gauges? then add in the center console and seats? I'm so new to the MJ world but don't want to pass up on the cherokee deal if its what I need for donor parts.

Thanks

You can use your motor, but need the head off the cherokee to do it right. The ports on the heads don't match up

Basically you can use your short block but will also need the timing cover off th cherokee.

good info. may do that if a cherokee engine isnt found and but if not ill use a newer cherokee 4.0 sell my renix 4.0

so could make it easier on myself and just fix/replace the steering column and steering wheel and the dash and gauges? then add in the center console and seats? I'm so new to the MJ world but don't want to pass up on the cherokee deal if its what I need for donor parts.

Thanks

I am not sure what question you are trying to ask here. A solid $500 XJ is a pretty good find. Even if you only use the sheet metal, axles, doors, seats and console from it, you could probably part it and make your money back. It sounds like the XJ would work perfect as a donor rig to do the 97+ conversion.

My recommendation for you is to enjoy your truck for the time being, sit back and read through the hundreds/thousands of awesome build threads here. Realize if you go down the 97+ conversion route you will be MJless for quite sometime.

This fellow did the 97+ conversion at a lightning fast pace:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/40605-88-comanche-and-97-xj-about-to-become-one-hello-all/

Thanks

I am not sure what question you are trying to ask here. A solid $500 XJ is a pretty good find. Even if you only use the sheet metal, axles, doors, seats and console from it, you could probably part it and make your money back. It sounds like the XJ would work perfect as a donor rig to do the 97+ conversion.

My recommendation for you is to enjoy your truck for the time being, sit back and read through the hundreds/thousands of awesome build threads here. Realize if you go down the 97+ conversion route you will be MJless for quite sometime.

This fellow did the 97+ conversion at a lightning fast pace:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/40605-88-comanche-and-97-xj-about-to-become-one-hello-all/

his is acutally the thread i read on jeepforum.com. No hurry. this makes 3 trucks, 1 car, 1 wrangler, 1 harley for a 3 driver family so no rush but would like it done right. I think i will pick up the XJ if they will come down to 300 and take the axles and the transfer case, maybe the tranny for later use and then do the front clip and seats on the MJ and later on do the motor and dash when a a good motor XJ comes along.

is there a thread on stock specs of the MJ suspension? looking to find out if my stock TJ coil springs and control arms would work on the comanche and what else could possbile switch over?

Also would 265/75R15 tires work on stock suspension without any problems?

Thanks