Rear End ?

00v0v_9H0pmHzbXt4_600x450.jpg

The above 9" Ford is selling for $200. Let's assume it has 4.10s.

Seller states 61" WMS to WMS.

Why could I not order 5 on 4.5 axles and replace the drums or go to discs?

I was also thinking about measuring a Dakota 8.25...........why not just swap axles out?

As you know, the 9inch had the most aftermarket support and pretty much anything is possible with a price. Is this from a car? What year? The late 70's moved to a "big bearing" and is more desireable for trucks imo. Also spline count went up to 31 I believe.

I'm at the mall but have a 9 inch book at home if you have specific questions.

one more thing, if it is a nodular housing, then buy it.

Don't know that the Dakota axle would work without fabrication.  It might be a 9.25 (12 bolt cover).

The one I saw at the PnP was a 98 with a 2.5 and I'm pretty sure it was an 8.25.

I did measure the width and now I forget what it was but I dismissed it because of the 6 lug.........but later thought it might be 4.10

The AX15 bellhousing is only useful from behind a 4 cylinder.

What are you planning on swapping an axle into? What is wrong with a Cherokee 8.25"?

I have the 2.5.

What I have been looking for, casually, looking for a rear axle that will serve two purposes or at least one of the two.

I want a locker, the Aussie can be had for about $300. I'd replace seals, strip and paint housing, install new cover if not a 9", I'd also like to convert to discs. I do not what to put any money into the 35c.

The second thing I'm looking for.....I'd like to find a housing with about 63" WMS to WMS, this would move the tires out on the back of the MJ without the use of spacers.

From what I can find out......some of the Mustangs had a 63" rear and maybe the Falcon??

I cannot find much useful info on the web as most people use 'track' width and not WMS width. I went to the PnP to look around and measure, nothing really struck me as something that would work. Most of the Ford 8.8 from the Explorers have offset pinions by nearly 4" to the passenger side.....screw that $#!&.

Looking though the appendix of "Ford Differntials: how to rebuilt the 8.8 and 9 inch"' there weren't many 4.11 from the factory, the vast majority of codes are in the 3's. Also the 31 spline does not show up until the mid 70's from trucks. Unless it is the rare Torino 9 inch.

I found full size rondo forum had the following wms to wms numbers. I have a 82 Bronco 9 inch in my garage which is about 65 inches. It has pretty tall gears though, not 4.11. None of the 80s broncos had low gears due to fuel econ reasons. If that 9 inch is 61", most likely it is from a car (mustang) and will be 28 spline.

List:

copied from therangerstation.com

65-66 Mustang 57.25 inches

67-70 Mustang 59.25 inches

71-73 Mustang 61.25 inches

77-81 Versailles 58.50 inches

67-73 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 9" 59.25 inches to 61.25 inches

57-59 Ranchero and station wagon rears, 57.25 inches

66-77 Bronco 9", 58 inches

77-81 Granada/Versailles, 58 inches

67-71 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane, 59.25 inches

71-73 Mustang, 61.25 inches

64 Falcon 58 inches

67 Cougar 60 inches

67 Fairlane 63.50 inches (coil springs)

72 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches

73-86 65.25 inches

57-59 Ranchero and station wagon 57.25 iches (narrowest 9" housing)

66-77 Bronco 58 inches but has 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle

67-73 Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes 59.25 inches or 61.25 inches

67-71 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches

The AX15 bellhousing is only useful from behind a 4 cylinder.

What are you planning on swapping an axle into? What is wrong with a Cherokee 8.25"?

I have the 2.5.

What I have been looking for, casually, looking for a rear axle that will serve two purposes or at least one of the two.

I want a locker, the Aussie can be had for about $300. I'd replace seals, strip and paint housing, install new cover if not a 9", I'd also like to convert to discs. I do not what to put any money into the 35c.

The Dakota it comes from must be a 4 cylinder. They are few and fare between.

You missed out. I sold a 8.25" set up fora Comanche SOA, aussie locker and disc conversion for $300 last June.