Goofy gas gauge....

Well, I got into my '86 today and all was well. Then just after I start moving I see the gas gauge go WAY past full, it only does this when I'm moving. When I'm sitting at idle, it goes back to just the full mark and I know I have less gas than that in there. After shutting it off for a couple minutes I can get back in, fire it up, and it'll read normally, but again as soon as I start moving, whether in reverse or drive, it goes past full. 2.8 4wd X. Any ideas? Please keep in mind that I live in an apartment complex and have no tools, and am getting over a bad cold, so with my lung problems already, I can't really be running out to check things all the time. Thanks for the help in advance.

Joe

I would ignore it for the time being then. Just keep track of your mileage. Fill 'er up every 200 miles and you should be golden. Or ignore it completely and just have a gallon container of gas in the bed. :D

beaterjeep, I concur w/ Pete, There is a possibilty that the fuel "bowl" in the tank has broken loose, & is affecting the float on sending unit. Does not happen often, but I seen it some over the years. Keep it full & carry a spare gallon or 2. mjcanoe

Ok, just a lil update here. I checked the fuse and it was in fact blown, so I replaced it, and took it for a drive. After about 20 minutes or so, it started doing it again. Checked the fuse again, and sure $#!+ blown again. So, I think it's now down to wiring.

beaterjeep, ? for you, any other components inop. when fuse goes out? The guage fuse powers c/c if applicable, is part of h/lamp circuit & other i/p units.

mjcanoe

I know from the PO that the cruise isnt working, or is simply disconnected altogether, and I actually haven't driven it at night yet to know if the headlights are out as well, but as far as I can tell, none of the instrument panel lights are out, as I have the blinkers working when I apply them. I guess I'll have to take another drive tonight and get back to everyone.

i remember that circuit was connected to some other one, but ? to which one. i put a new fuse in it again, gas gauge screwed up again, so we cleaned the tongs then made sure we had a good connection. has worked ok since. the wires coming from the engine compartment through the firewall[ fuse holder] is pita, so check that. some crap might be hanging down an shorting out.

Ok, new update yet again. Went to get my cd player out of my 88, and put it in, well along the way it started raining, so I had to turn my lights on. The headlights and fog lights work fine, but as soon as I turned the headlights on, I lost myinterior lights. Gauge cluster, 4wd switch only, the dome lights still work. Any ideas now? I got a 5 gallon gas can filled and strapped into the bed just in case i happen to run out of fuel as well. So on that aspect, I'm safe.