Headlights just go out...

Ok, so 1 thing went wrong last night.... I noticed that when I have my hi-beams on for a little while, the headlights will just turn off. They only go off for a few secs, or if I turn them off then back on with the switch. Pitch black in snow on I85 is a scary freggin thing.... Low beams are no problem.

Anyone heard of this? Or is it safe to say I just have a short somewhere???

That might be the problem, but it's more likely the headlight switch in the dashboard. The headlight circuit doesn't have a fuse, the switch incorporates a built-in circuit breaker. If that gets tired, the additional load created by the high beams (they are typically 55 watts and the low beams are 35 watts) is enough to blow the breaker. After a minute or so it cools down enough to give you lights again -- for a minute or so.

Hasn't happened to me in an XJ or MJ yet, but it did happen in my old full-size Cherokee. It got progressively worse, until the night I had to drive home at 10 MPH using only the parking lights.

eagle any input on mine? they flat out don't work on HI. when I got it they worked once in a blue moon...but didn't have the load problem. So I figure the switch on top of the column.

sorry to steal the thread...but this may help ya too

eagle any input on mine? they flat out don't work on HI. when I got it they worked once in a blue moon...but didn't have the load problem. So I figure the switch on top of the column.

Yours sounds like the switch on the column. The original question in this thread sounds like the circuit breaker in the dash switch is getting lazy.

Do you hear the click when you try to turn on the hi-beams? I never had his on my 88 until I noticed that the little bar that runs down the column wasn't moving the switch enough to engage it. A little bit of finagling with it and now I have hi-beams at my command. :D