2.8 Carb

Hey Guys,

So My 2.8 1986 carb is worn out. I want to replace it but these OEM ones are poor at best. I am going to throw a 3.4 into the from the camaro/firebird 94' 95' models. Can someone recommend a good Carb replacement for these motors. Is their a 4 barrel option w/o changing the I'm?

the intake manifold won't support a 4bbl carb.

Edelbrock used to make a 4bbl intake manifold that works with a holley 390cfm carb.

If you're throwing a 3.4 in, you need to swap manifolds to retain carb. I understand the expense of buying a new one, but if it's more the work of swapping it...you've gotta do it anyway.

That is, unless you do the best option and use the camaro's fuel injection (literally some of the easiest wiring I've done in my life) and put a 4.0 fuel sending unit and pump in it.

I have to buy a new carb. This one hat mice living it. It was all brittle and broke apart while trying to clean it. So the cost of new carb is inevitable. What route should I take? replace the I'm? With what? I am new to comanches. Have expeirence with the 2.8s but only with Multport injection. Thanks for all the info.

Honestly, if you're going to stick with the 2.8, I'd get the fuel injection manifold from a fiero, s10, blazer, etc. and install it...even if it's throttle body.

There is nothing good about a 2.8l in a truck, but a carb'd 2.8 runs like junk.

There might be a company or two who make a bolt-on 2bbl carb for it that eliminates all the vacuum hoses etc. from the carb, but I honestly cannot recall.

First chance I had to ditch my 2.8, I did, and put a buick 3800 in place. Never buying a vehicle with a 60 degree gm motor again.

Lol, Now you have my attention. A 3.8 in a Manche? Maybe someday. Whats required from the harness to swap in the fuel injection system? I just so happen to have a 2.8 from a fiero in my garage from 87 fiero GT..

Lol, Now you have my attention. A 3.8 in a Manche? Maybe someday. Whats required from the harness to swap in the fuel injection system? I just so happen to have a 2.8 from a fiero in my garage from 87 fiero GT..

Be aware that this swap caused him to rebuild AX5 transmissions more or less on a monthly base.

Be aware that this swap caused him to rebuild AX5 transmissions more or less on a monthly base.

Zeke, it wasn't the worst swap on earth, but a T5 or AX15 with dakota bell housing is necessary. which means custom drive shafts.

custom exhaust, y-pipe, headers

custom intake

custom motor mounts

frame rale modification to retain compressor for a/c

the wiring was easy.

a dana 35 also won't hold up.

And Marcel, it wasn't a monthly basis that I blew trans, it was about every 1000-2000 miles that I could grenade a trans.

I don't know the edelbrock carb part number.

There is a Holley/Weber 2 bbl progressive carb kit available that comes with an adapter plate. This will be the easiest and most direct way to get the truck running again. I couldnt tell you right now who has them though, but you need to buy a new carb anyways, so I think this will be what you need with the least amount hassel. You can then research and figure out the injection thing and add it later. This all assumes the bottom end of the engine is Ok, otherwise that Fiero 2.8 may be going in sooner rather than later. Good luck!

I did the 3.4 swap and retained the stock carb set up due to emissions but i swaped the intake for the edelbrock one and my truck flat out screams now compared to how it used to run . I don't know what it gets to the gallon but i don't really care either since its only a toy now. one day i would like to get the edelbrock headers and the webber carb but can't afford it now so it will have to wait.

So, I went a picked up a carb from FN jeep here in colorado. Only cost me 75 bucks to see that this motor is gonna be a money pit. I am jumping the gun and purchasing a 3.4 from a 95 bird and switching to fuel injection. Anyone done this swap. Seems easy.