Project "slow Zombie" Xj

Just found out that ComancheClub is making a section for other non-MJ projects. I already have a build on CherokeeForum http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/project-slow-zombie-148027/ but I got nothing going on today so I might as well kill some time.

Spent a good amount of my summer in 2012 unemployed. While unemployed I spent time fishing, camping, and just exploring in the woods. I decided that I was bored of borrowing people's SUVs for fishing and camping. So I sold my 2008 Chevy Cobalt LS and bought a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with 116,000 miles. The XJ had 1 owner and was from PA so it has less rust than most NY vehicles. 

First things done to the XJ was bedlining the trim and flares. Also painted the wheels black. Found the Alice/MOLLE thread on CherokeeForum http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/ali...roject-146708/. Added a row of MOLLE above the cubby hole and on the glove box. 

Decided to add some fishing pole holders on to the top of my door trim area. Only cost $1 for broom clamps to use as fishing pole holders. Took a trip to my parents' home and my dad gave me his old CB radio, its a Cobra 29 LTD Classic. CB is mounted to the side of the transmission. Around that time a buddy installed my radio from my old Cobalt. 

One of my favorite Craigslist finds was my brush guard. I had to order tow hook brackets, find tow hooks at harbor freight, and get grade 8 hardware from a local hardware store. It ended up costing a bit of $$ but I like how it looks. Plus it does a good job for keeping brush away.

Early fall of 2012 was kinda productive. I got a new Optima yellow top, did a blue LED dash light swap, new headlight switch, folding 97+ mirrors, "new" Wagoneer headrest. The leather headrest is really comfy, I don't care if they don't match.

For Christmas 2012 my wife got me some OEM cup holders. Also have a set of Walmart cup holders so I went from 0 to 4 cup holders! Decided to ditch the LED dash lights, didn't like how it looked after awhile. It was a cold winter (-15 some nights). My radiator decided to crack in the extreme cold so I got a new radiator. Also got the Volvo cap upgrade from NAPA.

January 2013 was pretty productive. New thermal relay, oil pressure sensor, new Monroe shocks all around. Best part was new tires. To be more specific I got 235/75R15 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2s. Firestone sold them $1 over cost so that was a great deal. They replaced the crappy 205/75R15 which were at half tread and didn't do well in any environment. The new tires are amazing at everything, road, snow, mud, sand, dirt, and ice. Yeah I tried them out in all of those in January 2013, NY is a weird place. Got some floor liners and put my OEM floor mats in the cargo area.

February 2013 also productive. Made up some MOLLE visors. Now I can have a knife, flashlight, glowstick, seatbelt cutter, pen, and notepad all in reach at anytime in the XJ. Got an offroad muffler since I broke my original one. Also scored a roof rack basket off Craigslist. Its kinda small but it was cheap and light. I use some u-bolts to secure it. Replaced my dash bezel with a wood grain bezel off a Wagoneer.

March 2013 I request my build sheet. Chrysler had it since its a 1990. No luck with the 88 MJ's build sheet. Someone decided it was okay to hit and run my XJ. So I upgraded to Wagoneer tail lights instead of regular XJ tail lights.

May 2013 has been painting. I'm taking a long time doing paint. I strip the white down to bare metal with a paint removal wheel on a drill. Then 2 coats of automotive primer and then OD Green. Stripping the paint to bare metal takes time and only on days it doesn't rain.

Now I gotta figure out how to post pictures.

Oh some future plans:

Finish painting OD Green

Redo bedliner on flares

New rear bumper (probably Nates bumper)

New front bumper (also Nates)

OME 2" Lift (when I get more $$)

8K+ winch (no idea from where yet)

Truck Lite LED Headlights (when I get more $$)

LED off road lights (when I get more $$)

30+ gallon tank (I don't remember the name of company that makes it)

What ever else sounds cools

Pics didn't come out

Pics are working for me. They are all from my build on CherokeeForum.

You are linking to uploaded attachments on Cherokee Forum that require a valid logged in account on that site to view them. So no, they are not working. :P

Pics didn't come out

Pics are working for me. They are all from my build on CherokeeForum.

You are linking to uploaded attachments on Cherokee Forum that require a valid logged in account on that site to view them. So no, they are not working. :P

Thanks for pointing that out. I wouldn't have figured it. Especially since CherokeeForum and ComancheClub are my homepages when I open up Chrome. I'll try to fix it later, junkyard hunting today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still doing some work on my XJ, seems easy to come up with small projects.

Been touching up the OD Green paint and redoing the bedlined flares and lower bottom body line.

Killed the rust on my doors by cutting it out and adding bedlined diamond plate.

Added a Hi Lift jack to my roof rack basket.

Bedlined my stock chrome bumpers.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 2 years later...