Fixed! No Brake Lights

I was informed yesterday by my buddy that was following me that I didn't have any brake lights. Check 'em out and sure enough, no brake lights. The run down: I have tail and turns- so bulbs are good. Replaced the fuse for hazards (I was told that was the same one for brakes- doesn't make sense to me :dunno:) and the hazards are ok. Just went and picked up a brake light switch, installed it, and still nothing. So, I'm kind of at a loss right now.

Picture of the brake light switch. I took it out, and instantly forgot how it went in when I went back. Looks right to me though.

Hopefully y'all have better ideas than chasing wires and grounds.

How are you checking?  Connecting to both sides of the switch?

Check it with the pedal pushed down.  You shouldn't read anything(unless there's an internal resistance to the switch I don't know about, which there shouldn't be).

An actual multimeter would be much better if you can get ahold of one.

I connected the ground to the metal guide of the 4x4 shifter (I took out the center console so it's open right now). So if I press down the pedal, I should have nothing?

Only if you were testing on both sides of the switch.  If you're attaching the ground somewhere else, you should still read 12 V.

But if you're grounding somewhere else, you should only see 12 V on one side of the switch without the pedal being pushed.  You have 12 on both sides with the pedal up?

Turn signal switch = brake lights? Odd. Worth a shot.

Mythoughts originally...but all the wires run through that switch.

Remember, when you activate your turn signal, it overides the brake light.

Makes sense the more I think about it. Guess it's off to O'Reilly's again tomorrow. Difficult to install?

UPDATE: Checked the power at the connector under the rear bumper (the one that the trailer lights branch off to) and didn't get any power. Had my sister pushing the brake so I could check.

Wasn't too difficult.  You need a steering wheel puller.  I used one through PepBoys.

You have to get under the dash and move some things off the column.

Get a lock plate spring compressor while you're at it.

Wasn't too difficult.  You need a steering wheel puller.  I used one through PepBoys.

That was included in the free loaner toll set.

That was included in the free loaner toll set.

That's convenient, but most places don't loan them together(although they should).  I don't know if you've ever tried to remove one without the compressor, but I sure am never gonna go through that hell again.

PepBoys has a free loaner program.  You have to put a deposit down that equals the cost of the item.  You have 5 to 7 days to return it.  You then get a full refund.

I believe other auto shop have similar loaner programs.

I had my brake lights quit in my '88 several years ago. I ad power at the switch, but nothing at the brake lights. The wire was broken a half inch or so from the connector on the brake light switch, (insulation was intact, but the wire inside was broken). Good luck.

before you tear appart your steering column stick test leads where the brake lights are ( use a multimeter)

when pressing on the pedal if you see no voltage change trace those wires back, you may find a broken/coroded wire some where down the wiring harness,

if that doesnt work dig into your steering column, would suck if u replaced that and it wasnt the problem

so check the easiest thing first ie. the wires that power the tail lights for breakage/corrosion

amd geonovast I'm with you on the compressor, i did it without one.... never again

Turned out being the turn signal switch. After trial and error (and a whole lot of swearing) took it to an electrical guy I was recommended. 5 minutes and he figured it out. Not one to take my truck to a shop, but having him do it so I don't have to mess with it and I think he deserves the money at this point.

EDIT: Thanks all for the input and help. :)