24 Hours Of Lemons - Comanche Content

AMCJeepMJ

I have a neighbor that runs in the Lemons races here in Denver (drives an AMC rambler marlin with 500 cu caddy engine in it). He is going to love seeing this..... though maybe not as much as I did....Thanks for posting.

• 1 month later...

Another shot of the rig. Anyone on here know who run this or what setup?

Ha!  Ran across this thread on the Googles.  I'm one of the team members for TGTW/555 Racing.  It's 6 of us out of Houston that have been into offroading/go fast cars for years. 

The Comanche is our second LeMons Jeep, the Cherokee towing it in that picture above being the first. 

For this race, our C class win and first ever win, we tried to keep the drivetrain mostly stock other than a swapped in 8.8 in the rear. 

Suspension was lowered with some home-brew blocks in the rear and chopping the front springs, real scientific stuff. 

is it 4x4?

IDK, but that T-case shifter is highly suspicious.  Wonder if it's AWD????

All of the 4x4 stuff was kept in it for this race.  We decided to yank the front driveshaft at the last minute to keep track debris to a minimum and to keep roaming hands from inadvertently pulling on that transfer case lever.  Future plans do include an AWD setup, just minus the BA-10... :)

It's 4WD with a BA-10. I read they were having trouble with their clutch and raced the first day with the transmission stuck in 4th.

And last but not least, yes.  The BA-10.  We were really just hoping and praying the French pile of goodness would get us through the race, little did we know the clutch would completely crap itself while unloading it off the trailer.  We even rigged up a reserve resevior for the clutch master cylinder using our windshield washer pump/resevior.  It actually worked to pump a little more fluid into the master as we were racing, but the hydraulics were just too far gone.  In the end we did just jam it in 4th and go.  Not only for the first, day, but for the ENTIRE race.  I'm guessing this was the only thing that actually kept the transmission alive, not being able to shift it... :)

Well, we have much more prep work to do before our next race.  Plan is to beef up the front brakes and install a "we hope it works" AX-15.

And last but not least, yes.  The BA-10.  We were really just hoping and praying the French pile of goodness would get us through the race, little did we know the clutch would completely crap itself while unloading it off the trailer.  We even rigged up a reserve resevior for the clutch master cylinder using our windshield washer pump/resevior.  It actually worked to pump a little more fluid into the master as we were racing, but the hydraulics were just too far gone.  In the end we did just jam it in 4th and go.  Not only for the first, day, but for the ENTIRE race.  I'm guessing this was the only thing that actually kept the transmission alive, not being able to shift it... :)

Well, we have much more prep work to do before our next race.  Plan is to beef up the front brakes and install a "we hope it works" AX-15.

Maybe that's the secret to making a BA-10 last. Remove all the clutch crap and replace it with a torque converter.

OOPs...the photos above are of the AMC onslaught at the Lemons race in Denver a couple of weeks back.

The first shot is my neighbor in his 66 rambler marlin it is running for a fourth year it sports presently a 454 chevy truck motor mid engine (moved 3 feet back from stock location)

the marlin is also set up running a IFS rear from an XJ6 Jag. The pacer in the other shots is his buddy's team it ran for a second yaer with a 4 liter engine  set up with a carb.

Shot of the Marlin from a previous year...

AMCs-In-24-Hours-of-LeMons-1966-AMC-Marl