Rear Tail Light Sockets

I have identified several direct replacement rear tail light sockets from various sources for the rear tail lights in both the old trailer style bulbs and the newer 3157 clip bulbs. All of them are $30+ for a single socket. O_O $180 to replace all six sockets.

My silly idea is to file down the tabs on the spare XJ sockets I have so they fit into the hole and duct them in place. The only difference in these sockets is the tab size and positioning. It is not ideal, but the rear tail light situation for Comanches is dismal. Otherwise does anyone else know a source for these?

I ended up filing the slots on the lens housing and the XJ sockets fit in nicely now. The only issue is that some wobble since the rubber grommets are worn out. I have a few spare grommets so I double stacked them for a tight fit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So what is the best consensus on replacing the sockets, I like the looks of those that you posted hornbrod but on my 87 the sockets all have 4 wires coming out of the back, would these still work? I am pretty sure my sockets are toast they are extremely gritty and removing/wiggling bulbs causes others to dim or go bright etc... and all the lights are extremely dim in the back unless I have the brakes on or headlight/running lights on then its all normal brightness but turn signal cause all the lights in back to blink!

Most likely your problem is the packed in factory dielectric grease in the sockets. This stuff congeals and hardens over the years and makes for spotty conductivity between the bulb and socket pins and bodies. Get a couple of spray cans of good electrical contact cleaner and Q-tips and clean all that crap out of the sockets. This should get them operating normally again. If not, I have several sets complete MJ sets if you find yours are damaged or cracked.

• 3 years later...

Reviving this thread as I had to replace a reverse light socket on mine. There are several variations through different parts brands, i.e. BWD, Napa, AC Delco, and many of those ARE in the $18-30 price range. But the Dorman 85869 is also a direct replacement 2 wire socket for our reverse lights. Best prices are Rock Auto $7.61 and..............O'Reilly for, wait for it.........$3.49! :banana: