Started Fabbing A Roof Rack Today.

mpace6a

Started building a roof rack today. Initial fitting of the exterior frame

fitting the  verticals

obligatory weld shot

where its at when i left work today

All welded, ends capped to keep out water and mud.

Now i just need to decide if i want to cover it with expanded metal, or use 1/2" sq bar to make louvers, spaced 1.5" apart. and obviously clean up all the welds, blend the corners and edges together. Opinions?

That's some nice work. Welding is a trade that would benefit every kind of mechanic. Something I intend to learn. 

why would you put a roof rack on a recycling can? lol

You got a point, I think it might benefit the OP to keep some glads in the back, haha. 

Hey hey now...one of those is full!

That's some nice work. Welding is a trade that would benefit every kind of mechanic. Something I intend to learn. 

You got a point, I think it might benefit the OP to keep some glads in the back, haha. 

Thanks! It should look better tomorrow once i sand down the welds, and add something to fill the gaps up

That is a headache rack not a roof rack. lol Unless you take it onto the roof, but what you have so far is just a headache rack

yeah yeah i know. not sure why i put roof rack in the title :dunno:

That is a headache rack not a roof rack. lol Unless you take it onto the roof, but what you have so far is just a headache rack

It's okay brotha, I was trying to say it nicely with out sounding like a C#*@. You can editt the title when you click the edit button and then click full editior.

haha but it does look nice! I want one!!

Where in the world do you work that you get to park insde a huge ole building? And good work on the rack!

Kansas City Structural Steel. I work in the old shop, a rented space inside the old Chevrolet Leeds Plant. Definately has its perks.

It's okay brotha, I was trying to say it nicely with out sounding like a C#*@. You can editt the title when you click the edit button and then click full editior.

Yea, I'll figure it out at some point. And thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it came together. Next up is a rear bumper and tool box to mount between the bed rails and bolt through the headache racks foot plate holes!

Where in the world do you work that you get to park insde a huge ole building? And good work on the rack!

Kansas City Structural Steel. I work in the old shop, a rented space inside the old Chevrolet Leeds Plant. Definately has its perks.

Yea, I'll figure it out at some point. And thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it came together. Next up is a rear bumper and tool box to mount between the bed rails and bolt through the headache racks foot plate holes!

Damn this is going to be awesome!! :drool: