'86 Comanche New Project

I bought an '86 last Saturday. The previous owner built it up pretty nice then let it sit for several years. Longbed, 4x4, 2.5l, 4 speed.

The good:
TJ Dana 30 front with Lockright and 4.88 gears
Ford 8.8 rear with Detroit, disk brakes, and 4.88 gears
4 inch lift
Ramsey 8000 winch
Custom front and rear bumpers
Tool box full of trail spares and recovery gear
Engine was rebuilt(before it sat for years)

The bad:
Interior is rough
Rust hole in drivers floorboard
Hood has surface rust
Radiator is bad (fixed)
Has oil leak around distributer (fixed)
No keys (fixed)
No power steering

I got a great deal on it. It will be used as my primary wheeler and for hauling stuff around town. I've had 2 XJs, a CJ5, a CJ7, and currently have a TJ. But I really don't know a lot about the MJs. So i'm sure i'll have a lot of questions.

Sorry, about the crappy pic. We picked it up and off loaded it in my friends barn until I can get a radiator and key.

It's the red one on the left.

She looks pretty clean and nicely built.

Good luck getting it on the road. The wait is worth it :)

I don't know if i'd call it clean. The paint on the hood and roof is peeling and the interior needs a good bit of work. But the suspension and axles need very little.

Any chance I might find a red dash and trim to replace mine? I haven't seen a lot of the red interiors.

Made some progress over the weekend. It now moves under it's own power! 

So far I have replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat, most of the cooling system hoses. Put in a new battery, used steering column, installed a new distributor gasket, and removed the rat nest from the air box.

Pile of old parts is growing

My other Jeep being used as a table for the most important tools.

• 1 year later...

Not a lot has changed since my last post. :dunno:

But, I have been collecting parts for it. I have a complete power steering setup. An almost complete grey interior. Some nice, lightweight aluminum wheels. Upper arms for a RE long arm. New front shocks. New RE 5.5 front springs. A NP231 transfer case.

The good news is I have a tow rig now so I can go all out on this one!

My current plan is to buy the rest of the RE long arm parts. Build a new HP 30 front with beefed up steering. Bob the bed. Add a cage. Buy some 35 inch tires and get it on the trails.

• 2 months later...

Actually worked on the MJ today. Got the RE 5.5 springs and adjustable uppers on. Replaced the bushings on the Teraflex lowers and adjusted them for the new springs. Also mounted the power steering pump. Last but not least removed the flares and put on the 35s to see where I need to trim.