Non-Cad D30 Shaft Options

No, the stock seal will not work because the passenger side tube has not been machined for it. Napa Oil Seal 11800 works pretty good. And since there is nothing in the tube to prevent the seal from going in deeper, when it goes bad, just put a new one up against it, pushing the bad one deeper into the tube. The housing under Sparkles (which was the original housing under Wilbur) now has 5 or 6 seals on the passenger side. Every time I broke a shaft it ate out the seal causing it to start leaking.

According to the dana axle gurus (i have yet to verify but makes sense) thats because the seal doesnt go out there. When you switch to non cad axle, you put the seal in where it goes in a non cad axle. At the diff housing. The housing has the provision for it. So you pull the cover and carrier and put the proper factory seal in just like the driver side has. Then no more issues.

Ive been reading mucho mucho on how to do this cause i don't want to run into any issues or leaks.

According to the dana axle gurus (i have yet to verify but makes sense) thats because the seal doesnt go out there. When you switch to non cad axle, you put the seal in where it goes in a non cad axle. At the diff housing. The housing has the provision for it. So you pull the cover and carrier and put the proper factory seal in just like the driver side has. Then no more issues.

Ive been reading mucho mucho on how to do this cause i don't want to run into any issues or leaks.

So you're saying the pass. side axle tube end next to the differential housing does not have a machined area that will accept the seal, but the housing itself has provisions for a seal?

Just wanting some clarification since I will be switching to a one piece axle soon.

Yes, the seal goes next to the carrier bearing in the diff housing. The axle tube has been pressed inside the diff housing and stops right there. On a non disconnect housing it has been machined to accept the stock seal, on a disconnect housing it has not and the stock seal will not fit. So you pull the cover and carrier and try to put the factory seal in and it simply does not fit. And that is an issue. The first time I did this I scratched my head over it for 20 minutes and then spent 4 hours researching it on the internet. I have now converted 4 disconnect housings (two of my own and two friends') to use single piece passenger side shafts and they were all the same. Napa Oil Seal 11800.

hmmmmmm. Well like i said until i tear into them i don't know which experience I'm gonna have. Possible there are different housings too on early and late gens. Maybe some of them had the proper spot for the seal and some didnt. I have an early housing thats going in mine. So it sounds like its gonna be like what youve seen. no place for the inner seal.

That and or the people who did the threads on it could be speaking out their @$$. It is the interwebs. lol. Id more believe your story since youve done 4 of them.