Tilt Wheel

Has anyone converted to tilt steering? I need to replace the wiper control stalk in my 90-MJ and thought that I would just grab a tilt column from an XJ. Do I need to get an 89 or 90 model or can I use a later year?

yea it bolts in. but when you get the steering column, disconnect the steering shaft at the steering box up front. it can only go on 1 way up there, but at the firewall it has to be set. don't do one with air bags, you don't have those and the controls are different. make sure you grab a tilt column with intermittent wipers. just disconnect all the wires, take the little black box that's hooked up to the wiper wires, and bolt it in. easy as that!

i've done it 4 times now. the one i'm doing next is putting an air bag one in my 86 when i convert it to a grey or black interior...to get the newer style cruise control...

My biggest concern was the wiring connectors since jeep decided to experiment with positive grounding during some of the years. I just didn't want to over complicate the project so if the 91-94 columns work it just increases the selection. I have intermittent wipers now but the switch is getting changed because I'm not getting enough voltage to the washer pump and the switch has been a problem since day one with the turn signals and wipers besides I want the tilt for when I add the mastercraft seats.

if you can get one closer to your year, it never hurts. but if the connectors look the same then there is no difference you can just swap it directly.

the main thing is to make sure to disconnect the steering shaft from the actual steering box. if ya don't, you have to get an alignment done as you WILL not get it perfect. no one wants a crooked wheel...

also, if you get a tilt wheel one, you might as well take it apart and loctite the four bolts in the tile mechanism before you install it.

They come loose pretty often, and it's a PITA to do in the Jeep.

There's a good writeup on el camino central.

I just swapped a tilt into my 88 from an 87 XJ. Straight forward swap. Although the ignition switch wires are the same the tilt switch is upside down compared to non tilt. No big deal just gotta turn the harness 180 when you install. You will understand when you get it apart. I you have a stick and use a column froman auto you have to bypass the interlock so the key will come out of the switch. Good luck with it.

....I'm with 87comanche....those danged bolts that come loose in the GM tilt columns are a pain. Every GM I've had (vettes , regals, caprices, caddy's) and my AMC Eagle, all of them came loose at some point, some several times and I used lock tight on all the ones I ever serviced. I wouldn't put a GM tilt column in my car just for worry that it may come loose at the tilt knuckle.....

• 4 weeks later...

anyone got a link to a write up on this?? just bought a comanche with a bad tilt wheel & i am going to be putting on in out of an xj i have & it sounds like i need to do this before i put it in. tony :D

anyone got a link to a write up on this?? just bought a comanche with a bad tilt wheel & i am going to be putting on in out of an xj i have & it sounds like i need to do this before i put it in. tony :D

http://elcaminocentral.com/article95.html

Just did this job using this writeup. Not a fun job, but doable. I jst took my time and went slow. One difference-I never could get the part out that goes from the lock cyl to the other side, I don't think it comes out. Other than that, you'll just have to figure out where all the little parts go after they fall out. :D Like the top bearing, all the balls will fall out. Good write-up.

Nevermind the difference I mentioned, I went back over the instructions And I must have misread it. Spent an hour on that :cry: .

Also, I found the tool for the pivet pins here in stock. It's a Lilse tool, the number escapes me. But, it's like $8, and saved me time from making a tool. So, call your parts stores that carry Lisle tools.

one tip on switching steering columns. NEVER disconnect the splined shaft that runs from the column to the steering box AT THE FIREWALL! if you do that, you have to try and center it back on....basically it's a b*tch and you will now have to realign your vehicle (steering wheel will not be inline with tires).

instead, disconnect the shaft AT the steering box. there's only one way it can go on and still have the bolt that tightens it fit. remove the 2 bolts holding it to the firewall, and the two that hold it to the dash. you will need the kneeboard out for this swap. then you simply disconnect the wires and swap the new one in (providing of course you didn't screw up and get one that has different connectors).

remember, DO NOT DISCONNECT THE SPLINED STEERING COLUMN TO STEERING BOX SHAFT AT THE FIREWALL! save yourself the trouble, you will have less of a headache and it will be much simpler to adjust it.