Georgia: '92 4.0 Ho, Ax-15, 2Wd

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished up the upper control arm/axle bushings last night.  Still need to take her for a ride and see what impact this had on my vibration.  The pass axle bushing was in BAD! shape...

The axle bushing tool I pieced together worked pretty well.  a 4.0 rod cap, ground to size, makes the perfect spacer.  Add the AZ loaner ball joint kit, some big washers, and threaded rod and you're all set.

Removal:

Installation:

All done:

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced the RMS Sun night and got the oil pan on last night.  This makes RMS #4 within the past year (3 different engines).  Didn't have to drop the oil pump on this one b/c I have the trans out for the clutch.  Seems like I had decent luck with the anaerobic sealer so I used it again (visible through the crank bolt hole):

Engine internals look good:  cam bearings are all in their proper place and the cam lobes look pretty good:

Main bearings look good too:

i can imagine... not fun on any vehicle let alone a jeep, and only makes it crazier on a manche, but hey that just makes it all the more meaningful after its in... hey would you mind helping me and mary out... if you could go to my page and read my post about what i did with the sway bar, any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, also keep up the good work man, really looking forward to seeing what your gonna do with Georgia, btw i love the name, I'm a GA boy, and i feel honored to have your beautiful rig named after my great state :)

I feel your pain man! Changing a clutch has to be the worst thing to do on a manche. 

X2!   I'm starting to really hate those E12 bolts on top of the bellhousing.  Every time I throw some away and congratulate myself for not having to deal with them ever again another set reappears.  I've thrown away 8 so far...

if you could go to my page and read my post about what i did with the sway bar, any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I'll check it out .  Georgia was the name I picked after the adventure of trailing her home from just outside of Atlanta. 

New u joints are in, DS is back in.  Someone changed the U joints at some point in the past and had boogered up the DS in the process.  I had to break out the dremel, sanding bands, chisel & hammer (to remake part of one snap-ring groove).  It turned into a huge PITA.

Finished her up this afternoon and went for a short (10 mile) test drive.  Everything seems ok so far and I believe my vibration is gone!  I'll reserve final judgement until I've driven her a bit more but I'd imagine a loose U joint strap/beat U joints, bad trans mount, & loose bellhousing bolts had to do something!

Thanks!  She's starting to come together nicely.  I live in WNC.  Where in GA are you?

Took a field trip to my friend's after work to test my Renix trivia knowledge via his '90.  I did pretty well...only got stumped on one plug by the battery.   We also primed his new motor, and swapped Renix and HO parts.  Georgia came home with a new bedliner, courtesy of the '90!  Pics of the factory Comanche bedliner after I power wash it out...

Pulled a headliner from an '86 with a black interior at the jy yesterday.  It was in rough shape but, since I had nothing (not even a backer) I couldn't be too picky.  The headliner was actually in a ball, held in by the sun visors and nothing else.  Some time spent with epoxy and 1.5 cans of headliner gave me a "reman" headliner.  I like the black on gray.

The headliner isn't really that dirty...must be dirt on the camera lens.

Got a few things done this weekend.  Installed the stainless vent visors I picked up at the jy.  I like them and, for $1.50 ea I couldn't go wrong:

Installed the freebee MJ Mopar bedliner (thanks Oneoverzero!):

Last, but not least, turned 250K running errands this morning!

Thanks!  We had an unreal amount of rain this weekend (5" for the weekend) and Georgia apparently leaks water (I think all MJs do to some extent).  Since the pass side was soaked it was time to pull the carpet and have a look.

No complaints here!  These are the nicest looking MJ floors yet...

I think I found one source of water.  Someone jammed a wire between the pinch weld and weather stripping on the pass side, near the top hinge  Look carefully at the door seal roughly even with the bottom of the glove box:

Also added some extra foam to the driver's seat.  Just biding my time until I find buckets of some sort.

mine leaked above the chrome stripping around the window, till i sealed that up with some extra black sealent i had, works amazing, and now all i gotta do is replace the seal for the driver door window... then no more leaks. but dang dude, thats awesome theres like no rust under your carpet.

• 3 weeks later...

Hit the jy this weekend and had a few good finds.  Georgia came with the crappy donut spare tire and I was looking for a matching rim, in good condition, that was mated to a nice tire.  Granted it was a long shot but I found this guy laying on the ground next to an XJ.  Had around 8/32" tread on it and still had plenty of air (35psi).  I picked it up off the ground and brought it home for $30 :)

Also had a new (to me) windshield put in Geogia this afternoon.  For $120 installed I couldn't complain...

Picked up buckets and a console at the jy as well.  Still working on them...

Finished my bucket & console installation/conversion

Slim pickings at the jy last weekend regarding seats (1/2 price day).  I found a total of 4 good bucket seats.  The flip forward driver's seat was actually in a '90 4 dr XJ Laredo and the console & pass seat were from a 4 dr XJ Sport.  I tore both seats down and rewelded 6 spot welds on the driver's seat and replaced both cushions with ones from a pass seat.  I transplanted the bottom seat cover from the driver's seat of the Sport to the pass seat (pass cover had a big hole in it).  I picked up a set of MJ brackets out of an '89 Elminator at the JY when I was between MJs and they had been sitting quietly in the basement.  The seats are both grey but have a slightly different herringbone pattern.  The console lid is tan but it's better than no lid. 

• 3 weeks later...

Georgia's fuel pump started getting loud and vibrating, enough that it made the bed vibrate to the touch.  The Bosch OE "upgrade" pump (only one available from Bosch) fits but not without some issues:

Hopefully this will help some other soul who ends up changing their fuel pump at midnight on a Saturday :thumbsup:

1.  Best way to siphon gas.  Pull the hose off the filler neck and feed your hose in.  Works great, minimal fuss.

In order to make the new pump fit you have to cut 2 tabs off the top retainer for the fuel pump.  When finished the retainer should look like this:

The old fuel pump & it's replacement are vastly different:

Old Pump:

Had to fish the old strainer out of the bottom of the tank:

New pump assembled in sending unit.  The Bosch instructions suck (basically says R&R) and I couldn't find any pics of the assembly.  This photo would have been a big help...

In order to keep the strainer firmly attached to the bottom of the pump I trimmed part of the alignment tab and crimped the bottom of the retainer:

Also the square cut "O" ring included with the Bosch pump is NOT a direct replacement.  The sending unit leaked and I had to source a Spectra Industries lock ring & "O" ring (P/N L001):