Aw4 Question

Don't think it would work without the AW4 being converted to 4WD (might as well get a whole transmission). Pretty sure rear driveshaft lengths are different between transmissions, not sure about the exact numbers. Front driveshafts for MJ and XJ are the same AFAIK, rear are not - rear axle also changes the length. Not certain but I think the actual transfer cases are the same whether it's an auto or a manual.

Don't think it would work without the AW4 being converted to 4WD (might as well get a whole transmission).

The other stuff makes sense, but as for an AW4 being converted to 4wd i have heard this before but i don't understand what it entails. I suppose the only way to go from a 4x4 AX-15 to a 4x4 AW4 would be to have a complete MJ specific 4x4 AW4 donor.

The other stuff makes sense, but as for an AW4 being converted to 4wd i have heard this before but i don't understand what it entails. I suppose the only way to go from a 4x4 AX-15 to a 4x4 AW4 would be to have a complete MJ specific 4x4 AW4 donor.

I believe the tailhousing has to be swapped to one that will accept a transfer case, which involves partially disassembling it. It's not something I see as practical unless you can't find a proper 4WD transmission or you have some sort of attachment to yours.

Happy to help! :thumbsup:

Tail shaft also has to be changed. That involves COMPLETE disassembly.

So you might as well keep looking for a 4wd AW4. And in that case you mght as well get the transfer case with it because I don't think the two transmissions (AW4 and AX15) are the same spline count AND the same output shaft length.