Sounds System Questions

ICEBOX

I am ready to buy a new system for my cherokee.

Has any one just replace the 4 5.25 speakers and ran a 10in sub with the cubby sub box the fits in the right side ? if so did it souds good ??

I was thinking of getting a pioneer

Pioneer - 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®-Ready In-Dash CD Deck Model: DEH-4400HD

And infinity or polk 5 1/4 front and rear. I have an image dynamics 10in sub already. and and amp for it .

Any one have and Opion about a good system ?

I would get a deck with 6 powered pre-outs if you want to run 4 mids and subs, that's if you want stereo subs instead of one mono sub. Depending on the amp in the deck and what speakers you run, you could get away with not running an amp to your mids, providing the deck is strong enough to power them. Check out Crutchfield's holiday specials. For just a little more you can get 6 pre-outs. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX596/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X596.html. I have an Excelon 994 in my ZJ and its very good.

Other tip would be to dish out some bucks on the wiring. Go big on the power wire and get good quality rca wires. Not from walmart. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20609PK4/Kicker-09PK4.html. Its easy to make your own too.

Also, if your budget allows, go with component sets instead of coaxial speakers. Much better sound since the tweets and mids are separated and not interfering with each other like a 2 or 3 way speaker. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-oYzoSko02fx/p_206DS62/Kicker-DS6-2.html

I have a 600w amp pushing two kicker component sets and a 450 kicker amp pushing two 12" kicker subs. I have more bass than I need and since I can direct the tweets, its very clear, I hear Van Halen like its supposed to sound and with the components I can clearly hear the spoons in Spoonman too. Kinda purpose built to be clear because I lost most of my high frequency hearing in Iraq.

Thanks for the plug Jay. (i am a crutchfield employee).

Component sets are by far a better sound, but they are more expensive and more work to install correctly since most cars, including xjs, don't have factory tweeter housings. Also, if you have a limited budget, simple 2 or 3 ways will work with just the deck powering them. They won't sound much, if any, better than factory however. Aftermarket decks have very small built in amps and the speakers can withstand much much more power than those can give. Its not a bad idea to look into a multi-channel amp to go with your speakers at a minimum.

forgot to include that mine were components. this is where I installed the direct-able (meaning I could point it p towards my head a bit) tweeter:

In my old 'manche i had just cut a hole in the empty square next to the door handle (Where your can is) And threw a tweeter in there. Worked great.