Some Projects Coming Up

JeepcoMJ

Well, the time is coming that i should finally hop back on the 3800 and rerestore it. My dad and i have been discussing it lately and are moving it up on our list of priorities.with this in mind, we have also been discussing what to do with our 86 comanche turbo diesel. it is in rough shape....a parts truck for someone looking to do a conversion, but we have a brand spanking new motor for it. We have decided that it needs to go to a good home where someone can use it to support their bad habit, or rebuild their own nice 86 chassis into a turbo diesel. Either way, i have made an offer to a rather busy member to let them buy it. if they don't take the offer, it will be available for anyone on ebay to purchase, with everything we have for it included.The purpose of selling it is that we need the space, the 3800 honestly is much cooler and gets similar fuel mileage to the diesel, and i have a long term project in the works.I have began the order process for a set of dually fenders for an mj. Once the 3800 is back on the road, my current dd (99 2dr 5spd xj with stroker) will have the honor of being mated to a longbed comanche right at the door jamb. As you have probably gleamed, it will be a dualy. it will have fullsize running gear when completed. the debate on it is what to do about the motor. Do we keep the 4.0 stroker? or do we build a 4bt for it? the budget won't be high for this one, and it will have to be done in stages.I guess i am asking advice on direction for that project, as well as advice for what to ask for the diesel? I understand that the market for them is small....and while there may be a limited interest in one in rough shape physically, the simple fact is...if you have one, you can't find parts...and if you do, they are not even remotely cheap.cheers, and merrry christmas

When I get the chance, I'll shoot you the call, but you pretty much know my situation. I need another vehicle to take care of like I need another hole in my head. When I actually have to turn down a free Comanche, I am to the point I can't take on anything else, or burden anyone else with my junk. I feel bad enough as it is still having the MJ trailer stuff in project stage over at your place.

Rob

Sort of want diesel Mj......

Sam,

If you're interested in the truck, I will offer it to you for for a good price. I don't have any way to get it to you, but this thing is right up your alley. It still runs and drives, needs brakes, an alternator (they ARE available), and a new tachometer...rob has ours. You could probably fix this truck, but would be better off with another rust free 86 chassis and some unmentionable solutions to registration (in WI, they will let me do a "cab swap" and use the cab title").

The rockers and cab corners are shot, floor is bad. frame rails seem good still. bed is shot, doors are shot, header panel has a crack, and there is a baseball dent in the hood. windshield is cracked as well. The head is cracked on the truck, but it still runs and has been ran this way for quite awhile (if you didn't get the boost above 5, the crack would hold pressure. it has been repaired ones, but the repair obviously didn't hold. it's in one of the precup chambers). You can drive the truck as it sits, save for the bad rear brakes.

Comes with spare engine and head. No spare turbo, and it does not have a good spare injection pump, but the one on the truck works flawlessly. Rob has the injectors out of the spare motor. the spare engine is apart inasmuch as that the head has been removed from the block.

We have a new spare timing belt, and a remanufactured spare starter.

AMC20 rear, 4.11 gears all around. needs tires, too.

Also comes with all of the manuals, spare glow plug relays, and the original window sticker.

I would have pm'd this to you, but it says you cannot recieve any messages.

-Pat

-Pat

• 3 months later...

Diesel left today.

New owner bought it months ago on ebay, weather has been too bad for the trip from NYC to WI.

months of not starting and sitting outside, plug it in for an hour, put a good battery in her, started right up.

He's putting the drivetrain in an 88 YJ. And I am so far done with it that that does not bother me one bit.

I can give you his number, rob. But there won't be anything unused...he's swapping engine harness, engine, fuel system, fuel tank, amc20, swapping front to leaf to put in yj, using gauges, interior harness for the most part, etc. There won't be anything left that you'd want or need, as none of what's going to be left will be diesel specific.

as far as the swap, to each their own. I almost bothered to get offended with him not restoring one of 30ish diesel mjs in the states...then realized that, aside from letting you guys know the end destination and intention of the project, i really don't care.

Was there a reason he wanted to spend all the time and effort swapping in that turd as opposed to any of the other low-cost diesel options out there?  It seems like the 2.1 diesel can be a reliable engine if very well maintained, but as far as diesel reliability goes, it just plain sucks.

it's one of those things we were all polite about, and just shook our heads internally. he drove from New York to pick it up.

He seems very intelligent, and knows what he's doing. I think it's all about the OEM parts and cool factor

Except it won't be that cool.  Look at me, I swapped in an expensive, underpowered and unreliable engine into my YJ,  The YJ never actually offered this engine, but two other Jeep models of the same era did!

Again - to each their own.  I bet only a select few will understand why I'm transplanting the engine that I am into my '92MJ...