Truck Keeps Dieing And Left Me Stranded. What's Wrong With It.

Got a update. Mechanic got to the truck this morning and said it started up and ran just fine. Told him to let it Idle until it dies. Called him back and he told me that it died after about 15 min. Said the fuel pressure is reading 35 psi when running and 40 at crank which is normal so the fuel pump is good. He told me that he confirmed that it is not getting a spark. I told him it sounds like the cps and told him how to tested it and he is not cooperating very well. Acts like he doesn't want to mess with it and is telling me sounds like the ECU is bad. So I finally got him to agree to let me have some one drop off Cruisers CPS testing document and test is that way. We will see what happens. Over all is sounds like CPS Problem to me.

Nother update:

So the mechanic did cruisers CPS test. He told me that sometimes it would read the right voltage and sometimes it wouldn't read at all. Also some time even if it reads 0 voltage it will start. He is trying to tell me that he thinks it is a computer issue and he has consulted anothe mechanic about it and he agrees. He says that the CPS is a magnet and it either works or it doesn't. So he things its not the CPS and its the computer.

I then went on to ask him, if its the ecu what is the plan of action. He said he doesn't know because he doesn't touch computer. So it's still sounds like the CPS to me and I know how they can act up for

The stories I have read on here. So I tracked down a dealership CPS and am having it shipped to the shop. It was like 96 bucks and its going to take 5-7 working days to get there.

When I called the dealership they also asked me if I wanted the high altitude one or regular? I just said regular.

Any way please tell me y'all's opinions. And CRUSIER chime in with yours too.

Oh one more thing, I have a brand new oil pan, felpro oil pan gasket, and felpro rear main seal sitting here that I have been waiting on putting on. I figured if the truck was just going to be sitting there for the next week I was going to have him put on the oil pan, RMS, and oil pan gasket. Well I asked the guy he he would do it and he said he would rather not mess with it........ Guy sounds like a idiot to me....

Yea he is a idiot. But ok,let's just say after I replace the CPS it's still dieing and the next plan of action is the computer. Where can I find one? What kind do I need, and how much is it going to cost me?

Used $35 at U-Pull-It. Bet that's not it though......

O2 being bad can cause open loop, but that's not all that rich, especially to cause flooding. It's a predetermined program in the ECU. Half the guys on this forum with a rEnix Jeep probably have bad/lazy O2 sensors and don't know it. MAP getting low vacuum can cause lots of flooding though.

Causes ov overly rich mixture in order of highest degree and severity.

1-MAP

2-CTS

3-IAT

4 O2 sensor

A friend of mine swapped a Renix 4.0 into a YJ that originally had a carbureted 2.5. He was running without an O2 sensor, which worked ok on the highway (although about 12 mpg), but in stop and go traffic or out on the trails it would flood out and stall, And then be unable to start for 30 minutes or so. Hooked up an O2 sensor in the front exhaust pipe (got a new pipe that had a bung for one) and no more problem, no more stalling and close to 20 mpg.

Tell me again how the open loop program is not that rich.

Not been my experience in 25 years of working on these Jeeps. Sometimes we found dead O2 sensors only because it showed on the DRB tester that way and nobody had complained of a driveability/idling issue. But, there's always something new. Couldn't hurt for the OP to check/change his O2 sensor but I've never seen one choke out a motor on it's own. There were always other contributing factors.

Also, your friends Jeep was not a stock installation and other factors could have affected it.

Go unplug your O2 sensor and drive around for a while. Bet it doesn't stall. Idle may be a tad low or maybe rough......

although I have not confirmed it, I highly doubt my o2 sensor is bad. I just did a full exhaust revamp. Pacesetter header high flow cat, magnaflow muffler and running 2.5 inch pipe, with a brand new o2 sensor. This truck runs smother than it ever did before this. I have had the truck for 1 year in feb. bought it with around 99k and it has 103k on it now. With in those 4 thousand miles I have put atlease 3-4k$ into it. Just shy of a full rebuild the engine has ran great since I have done the work on it.

• 2 weeks later...