New Guy With A Couple Of Questions

Hey everyone, My name is Drew I have a Jeep Wrangler now and I'm about to purchase a 87 Comanchee 4cylinder 4 speed. I wanted to know if I could use that same transmission if I converted it to 4wheel drive or would I have to swap in a ax-15? All replies are welcome!

A transfer case won't bolt up to a 2wd transmission, not without modification. I understand it's not worth doing the work with the number of 4x4 trannies available, but I've got no experience there. Someone else will likely chime in.

But Welcome to the Madness and humbly ask you to post pictures of your truck.

Thanks a lot! I've been trying to see if I could just swap the tail housing out and add the transfer case and of coarse driveshafts and shifter linkage. Thanks for the response! I'll get pics up as soon as I get it!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay everyone go tthe comanche home yesterday, but I was only able to work on her last night for a few hours. She had about a fourth of a tank of old bad gas in her so I droped the tank last night to get the gas out. I put some new gas in and a little fuel injection cleaner in there, hooked some jumpper cables to it and it fired right up! Ran a little ruff unitl I ran most of the old gas out. It's running good now, but when you let it idle it will sounds like its about to shut off at times. I don't know if the timming needs to be adjusted or if it just simply needs a tune up. Any advise would help alot!! Also Pictures will be up as soon as I figure that out and take somemore!

Timing cannot be adjusted. Do the tune up, and see if that helps, but trying to die during idle is commonly a dirty IAC.

You need a 4wd AX-4 or AX-5. You cannot swap out the tail housing, the output shaft is also different.

AX-15 is possible, but beyond practical for the amount of work needed to put it in. Plenty of AX-4/5s out there, and they're strong enough for the 2.5.

okay thanks guys thanks! So I'll find a used ax-5 then might as well swap over to a 5speed in the process. So I did the tune up, swapped out the fuel filter and it runs butter but still kind of ruff when cold don't know if the carb needs to be cleaned or not. Also I have a problem with the turn signals. I've checked the fuse pannel under the sterring wheel the fuse looks good. Where would the ground be for the signals? Last thing how do you post images on here?

No carb, your truck has throttle body injection. You might try some injector cleaner, and try spraying down the throttle body with some O2 sensor safe cleaner.

Going to a 5 speed certainly isn't a bad idea, since finding an AX-5 is most likely going to be much easier than finding an AX-4, but without regearing your axles, that 5th gear is going to be all but useless to you.

Shoot for 84-86 or 94+ trans for the external slave conversion.

It's a 2.5 litre, and 87-90 were throttle body injection, with a single injector inside the throttle body.

You can use an AX-4/5 from any Jeep, but keep in mind the YJ/TJ units will clock the T-case up a bit, a little closer to the floor, but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

84-86 were also external slave, with the slave on the other side than the 94+ ones. Also, the AX-4/5 behind the 2.8 in 84-86 are identical to the 2.5 ones, including the bellhousing.

I wouldnt turn down a good deal on any year of ax4/ax5.

External slave is somewhat convienient but not worth turning down a good transmission over, as long as you put in a new slave cyl when you install the transmission you shouldnt have any issues for a very long time.

Okay thanks guys! So I'll be cleaning some stuff until I find the issue. I'm am a little machanicly inclined but not to terribly much. If I get the new tranmission will I have to get a new clutch or will the one in the truck now work?