Production Numbers

Biotex

wouldn't we all. problem is we don't have concrete info to fill in those blanks. :(

Interesting... I would think Jeep/chrysler would have released those numbers. Has anyone tried contacting public relations and requesting it? What plant were these manufactured at? I'll see what I can come up with. I know of a couple of ways to get that info...

You can look all you want. To think that we haven't been down this road many times before... You haven't been here long.

The MJ was a product of AMC. Chrysler wanted little to do with it.

All records were stored in a basement in the Chrysler archives. All AMC/Jeep files were down there, as well as any older Jeep stuff. The basement flooded, and all records were lost due to damage.

Rob

You can look all you want. To think that we haven't been down this road many times before... You haven't been here long.

The MJ was a product of AMC. Chrysler wanted little to do with it.

All records were stored in a basement in the Chrysler archives. All AMC/Jeep files were down there, as well as any older Jeep stuff. The basement flooded, and all records were lost due to damage.

Rob

How sad! Usually that info was stored on micro-fisch (sp) and no one wants to take the time to go through millions of builds to get the data, and it cost a fortune to digitize it.

Oh well, the best we can do then is to interpolate by figuring out how many units could be built in a month. Get a rough idea maybe...

How sad! Usually that info was stored on micro-fisch (sp) and no one wants to take the time to go through millions of builds to get the data, and it cost a fortune to digitize it.

Oh well, the best we can do then is to interpolate by figuring out how many units could be built in a month. Get a rough idea maybe...

Good luck. Serial numbers, while sequential, are also sequential with XJ's. We have no real way to do it besides the rough guesses formulated from various books and publishing.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Here is what I was able to locate on the Comanche History....

Production numbers:

1985: 29,245

1986: 33,386

1987: 43,070

1988: 43,718

1989: 25,311

1990: 9,576

1991: 5,188

1992: 952

^^Thanks Steve.

I've seen these numbers before as well,

the trouble is, I believe they are year of manufacture numbers,

since there are no model year 1985 MJ's.

So the 952 1992's would probably not include the 92' Model year MJ's built in 1991.

The other problem with year of manufacture data is it's usually includes vehicles built for export.

The "Standard Catalog of Light Duty Trucks" claims;

Model year production Comanche;

1986 45,219

1987 28,417

1988 46,389

1989 28,891

1990 10,804 (38.7% of those = 4x4) <--- 89.6% of 136,070 1990 XJs were 4x4's

1991 7,009 (36.7% 4x4)

1992 2,970 (41.9% 4x4)

Krause Publications is usually pretty accurate in compiling their data,

so I think its a fair bet that the numbers from their "Standard Catalog" are probably pretty close.

^^I just did the math on the two sets of numbers.

First set totals 190,446 MJ's

Second set totals 169,699

For a difference of 20,747.

One guess would be that these were vehicles built for export, in house use, promotional, prototypes, vehicles damaged in production, delivery, etc etc.

Year of production data is usually what was released to stockholders,

so that info is usually the highest possible number :yes: