2.8 With Auto 3 Speed Trans Swap?

Don't know what automatic came behind the 2.5 as I have never seen one yet, but the AW4 that comes behind a 4.0 will not bolt up to a 2.5. Bell housing/bolt pattern is not even close between the 2.5/2.8 and the 4.0.

Automatic trans out of a 2.8/3.1/3.4 Camaro or S-10 should bolt up, though, as will rear wheel drive Buick 3800.

Your trans should be an A904. It is a lighter duty version of the Chrysler 727. I don't think there is a bolt in 4 speed for what you are looking for, though they did make a 4 speed version later on, but I'm not sure if it would be a direct swap for the earlier versions. Here is a link to some info on it. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/torqueflite.html I have one in my 86 Wagoneer parts truck that I plan to rebuild for a future project. There are a couple of updates for that trans as well if youre going to rebuild that you should incorporate. Just do a search for A904 upgrade. It has something to do with eliminating a possible wear point in it where they have two gears slightly applied at the same time to make a smoother shift.... or something like that. Good luck.

Just found the other link to upgrades... http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/torqueflite-tom-hand.html

Chev did make a 700R4 to mate to the 2.8, but I don't know if they made a 4wd version. I had one in my 86 GMC S-15 Jimmy 2wd. That being said, you can always convert a 2wd to a 4wd transmission by changing the tailstock and the output shaft - requires a complete disassembly. You are probably better off changing both the engine and tranny from a donor XJ with a 4 L.

Not sure if an S10 is driver drop or not, but if it is, you could use a setup from one of them, but then you might have to deal with electronic controls, and have custom front and rear driveshafts made. If you plan on a 4.0 swap, save your money, and buy a running driving donor, and swap it all over. Nice XJs can be had for less than $2000 in most places. Youll need to modify the radiator core support, clearance the firewall, swap out the dash and HVAC box and ALL wiring. If you get a nicely optioned one, you could also have power windows, locks and mirrors among other things. Its a big job, but not horrible, especially if you have a complete donor.