Wiring ’91 MJ vs. ‘89 XJ

My new project is getting a gutted ’91 MJ put back together for a weekend trail rig. For those of you who frequent Pirate I bought what's left of Judd’s cab/frame/body. Plans are D60 front & 14 bolt rear with leaf springs all the way around, rolling on last season’s 39” Krawlers from my comp buggy on H2 rims.

Anyway back to my question, I have an ’89 XJ donor truck that I’m planning on stripping the Renix 4.0L/AW4/NP231 out of to put in the ’91 MJ. I know '91’s were HO instead of Renix, but is the bulkhead connector pin out the same??? How about dash parts (gauges, heater controls, etc…). How much of the ’91 MJ wiring can I leave from the firewall back when I put the 89 motor in?

Thanks,

Head

I think you're probably going to have to remove all of it. Some will be the same, but not enough to patch anything together reliably. It would just wind up being easier gutting everything and pulling everything from the donor. Although the heater controls should be the same. The gauges won't, I'm pretty sure as IIRC the 91 won't be mechanical. At least the speedo that is.

But that's my take on it. I personally hate HOs so I'm not very framiliar with them. That and there's very few of them in the junkyards around here for me to poke at.

Everything is different. The instruments operate on reverse polarity, the wiring is all different ... if you're going to go this route, you need to yank ALL the vehicle wiring out and replace with the wiring that matches the motor.

Keep in mind that the pre-91s used a mechanical speedo and the 91+ used an electronic speedo, so you have more issues there.