86 Comanche Dash Swap

My truck came without a dash. I might as well put a 97+ in, it looks slick. I do know that since mine is an 86 that some parts are not interchangeable, does that include interior parts such as the dash? Any pointers in regards to removal of donor dash? I'm hoping to find one at the wreckers this weekend. Thanks.

There's plenty of guys that have done the 87+ to 97+ swap, I know the firewall and engine bay are different in an 86 But scroll through these just to get an idea of what you're in for...

http://comancheclub.com/topic/32740-alexias-1987-to-1997-comanche/

http://comancheclub.com/topic/14322-19921999-mj-project-slight-paint-update-pg10/page__st__40

Sorry to bring a raincloud friend, but the dash doesnt bolt in in any way. There are 8 mounting points, 6 on top and 2 underneath that will need to be added/drilled/modified in some way. Once thats done, the firewall needs holes cut, holes welded up, and holes relocated. And to make matters worse, nothing electrical wise will work with your truck without extensive modification. The dash gauges won't work at all with your truck.

Edit: you replied before I posted. Good choice :thumbsup:

I'm not sure on the dashes themselves as I didn't look too close when I had my '86 apart but the clusters will swap up to '90. You might need to swap one or two wires on the connector (I had to swap the alt and one other to get the gauges working, forget what the second one was off hand) but everything does work.

I'm making a wild guess on this but I'm going to say '84-'86 dashes are the only ones that really bolt right up. AMC changed the firewall (and entire engine bay) in '87 to fit the 4.0L.

Just for conversation sake, couldn't one still swap over the dash, splice in the '97+ heater controls, and use aftermarket gauges? It was briefly talked over HERE, but I don't know the outcome.

For that matter, couldn't one also do a '97 swap and make an early dash work? Obviously using custom gauges... unless a late '96 cluster would work?

That'll require a ton of work to get the older dash to work with the newer wiring harness. The late '96 clusters should be the same as the older ones. In '97, they changed the dash lines enough where the clusters won't swap without a good bit of work. You might be able to cover up a lot of the gaps with the trim piece on front but I'm not sure how deep the newer clusters are. You'll also need to run an electronic speedometer, but that should be able to swap into your transfer case already once you find one.

Just for conversation sake, couldn't one still swap over the dash, splice in the '97+ heater controls, and use aftermarket gauges? It was briefly talked over HERE, but I don't know the outcome.

For that matter, couldn't one also do a '97 swap and make an early dash work? Obviously using custom gauges... unless a late '96 cluster would work?

I think it could be made to work, sure. but with the newer dash, I would also use the aluminum subframe for the steering wheel mounts as well as the HVAC box for ease of use. The reason for the heater box as far as I can remember would be because the vents will line up properly from the box to the dash. With the wiring, you should only have to power up the individual systems. HVAC controls, Radio, accesory switches, etc. May have to give up cruise control as well as I believe its integrated into the ECU. Obviousy you'd need aftermarket gauges as the 2nd gen dash uses a bus system to communicate data to them. But honestly, by that point, why not go full out and stab the later engine/tranny/wire harness in. The dash is the hardest part. Everything else is more or less plug and play.

I think it could be made to work, sure. but with the newer dash, I would also use the aluminum subframe for the steering wheel mounts as well as the HVAC box for ease of use. The reason for the heater box as far as I can remember would be because the vents will line up properly from the box to the dash. With the wiring, you should only have to power up the individual systems. HVAC controls, Radio, accesory switches, etc. May have to give up cruise control as well as I believe its integrated into the ECU. Obviousy you'd need aftermarket gauges as the 2nd gen dash uses a bus system to communicate data to them. But honestly, by that point, why not go full out and stab the later engine/tranny/wire harness in. The dash is the hardest part. Everything else is more or less plug and play.

I was thinking more along the lines of what it would be to do a full mechanical '97+ swap while still retaining the feel and lines of the dash/interior. Just another "what if" type of deal going through my head at the time. Wasn't sure if there were any similarities between the OBDII '96 gauge clusters and the '97+. I was thinking the same thing about the HVAC and what not. Didn't know that about the cruise control though. I think I'd be willing to loose that in order to retain the early column/wheel. Just for fun, anyone know if an early steering wheel would go onto a '97+ column without much fuss?

Oh, and :hijack: .

So let me get this straight. You would pull a perfectly good dash, remove all the old gauges and hvac and put +97 bits & custom gauges on your old dash and put it BACK in? To retain the "classic" look? Someone has too much time on their hands... lol!

Well, since we're hijacking. I would be interested in that swap as well. I have always liked the older dash/interior, but I feel its too 80s-tastic for my taste which is why I did the full deal on mine.....twice! I can still vividly remember the 80s and "oh, the style horror and embarrassment". As you would say Ben, "but I digress". Back to the dash, I think it would be a slightly easier swap from a mechanical point of view. From an electrical point of view, maybe not so much. But one thing I feel would be a constant is powering up the systems individually. I think with the HVAC its just a matter of getting a hot wire to the right place, same with radio and accessories, etc. However, you mentioned something that kind of throws a wrench into it all. If you're going through all that trouble, why not just outfit it with 96 model electronics and what not. You get the first Gen dash, with what is essentially the second Gen tech (OBDII specifically). Aren't the columns the same/similar between the MJ and the 96 XJ? If so, just replace the steering wheel if you don't like the airbags. I dunno, I haven't really given it that much thought until now.

So let me get this straight. You would pull a perfectly good dash, remove all the old gauges and hvac and put +97 bits & custom gauges on your old dash and put it BACK in? To retain the "classic" look?...

Yeah... I would!

Well, since we're hijacking. I would be interested in that swap as well. I have always liked the older dash/interior, but I feel its too 80s-tastic for my taste which is why I did the full deal on mine.....twice! I can still vividly remember the 80s and "oh, the style horror and embarrassment". As you would say Ben, "but I digress". Back to the dash, I think it would be a slightly easier swap from a mechanical point of view. From an electrical point of view, maybe not so much. But one thing I feel would be a constant is powering up the systems individually. I think with the HVAC its just a matter of getting a hot wire to the right place, same with radio and accessories, etc. However, you mentioned something that kind of throws a wrench into it all. If you're going through all that trouble, why not just outfit it with 96 model electronics and what not. You get the first Gen dash, with what is essentially the second Gen tech (OBDII specifically). Aren't the columns the same/similar between the MJ and the 96 XJ? If so, just replace the steering wheel if you don't like the airbags. I dunno, I haven't really given it that much thought until now.

From the few times that I've said that here, I have to say that it made me smile a little bit knowing that someone pays that close attention. Hat's off to you, sir! Back on topic... er... off topic?... I look at the idea that if I were to do a full electrical swap, why wouldn't I want to go as new as I can within reason? Even the difference between my '91 and '88 as far as the condition of the wiring is astounding! Only a few years difference there, but going from the '96 to a '01 I think I'd see the same thing. How much difference is there between the '96 and '97+ electronics as far as engine performance or just easy of working on? I understand that it would be easier to just go with a late '96, but if there would be any benefits of going newer for any reason I think I'd be for it. As far as the '80s-tastic feel, I like that I drive a product of the '80s! I like the feel of it. I like how it makes me feel when I'm driving it. I like knowing that I'm enjoying something that was the leader of what it was and at the top of its game back in the day. If I was in the situation of updating, I would definitely want to do so without disturbing that feeling, But I digress...

• 2 months later...

Ok back to my original post sort of. I decided to take the less adventurous route and was able to locate an '88 dash which the guy was really cool I got boxes of parts and the dash for $50. And the best part is that it actually fits. I had to grind the slots bigger where it mounts into the steering column but everything else fit perfect. I used the 86 harness. I still have to match the wires to the back of the instrument cluster but most of the wires are the same color and go to the proper location. Unfortunately I am still missing all the mouldings and trim pieces to complete the dash. So right now it's a combination of red and grey. I am happy today, it has been sitting in the rain for 3 months untouched since I bought it and I was beginning to get the fear... Will be getting it to my house in a couple days and re-do the head gasket. Funny guy who sold it to me said it had a new head gasket but didnt tell me it was still in the box behind the seat.

What other year dashes are the same as the 88? Need to find a few more bits.

I know for a fact that up to '90 will fit the dash without an issue, not sure if they made any dash changes in '91. If it helps any with the rewiring, I had to swap two wires when I went to the newer style cluster. The alternator wire was one of them and think it was an illumination wire I swapped it with but don't quote me on that one. It was just a simple swap position between the two and everything worked fine.

If it helps any with the rewiring, I had to swap two wires when I went to the newer style cluster. The alternator wire was one of them and think it was an illumination wire I swapped it with but don't quote me on that one. It was just a simple swap position between the two and everything worked fine.

Thanks Garvin. In the past, I just find the ground first then connect each wire to the (+) on a battery charger or battery and label as I go. But in all honesty I will probably just hook them up in order of, "god damn I wish I had a high beam indicator," then curse myself for not doing it when I had the dash out. I'm to lazy to pull the steering wheel off so the dash won't go in fully assembled lol. I left lots of extra wire as I had a donor harness.

Ford broke need to get this on the road quick.

• 2 weeks later...