97+ Dash Swap Question

I picked up the dash out of a 99 XJ and had a few questions. I currently have a cage inside the jeep, which makes me hesitant to do the swap in the first place, since I'll have to cut it out and redo most of it.

My big question is what all is needed? I have the dash, but do not have the steering column yet, or the heater/AC box. Is it necessary to pickup the newer style heater box assembly, or are they interchangeable? If they are interchangeable, is it straight forward to hookup the HVAC controls from the new dash to the old heater box assembly?

Also, what wiring needs to be done? I won't be using the new style IP, I have a full set of autometer gauges to use, so I won't need that wiring. The only thing I can think of needing in terms of wiring is the courtesy lights, and the center stack electrical for the switches and lights.

can't do it without a complete engine swap and complete wiring swap.

the gauges won't work when you're done. the H.O. ecu reinterprets the readings from the engine sensors and sends them out in the proper signals for the gauge cluster.

you have to basically swap the front half of the cherokee into the comanche.

I wasn't planning on using the ECU or the IP, I have a full set of aftermarket Autometer gauges to use for the gauge cluster.

I'm thinking I can strip down the new dash of most of its wires and only hook up the applicable ones, like the headlight switch, hvac controls and the electrical switches. Am I wrong thinking I can leave my current XJ wiring intact, and just hook up these new components to replace the old ones?

I wasn't planning on using the ECU or the IP, I have a full set of aftermarket Autometer gauges to use for the gauge cluster.

I'm thinking I can strip down the new dash of most of its wires and only hook up the applicable ones, like the headlight switch, hvac controls and the electrical switches. Am I wrong thinking I can leave my current XJ wiring intact, and just hook up these new components to replace the old ones?

theoretically, it will work.

it's gonna be a headache. I'm battling with it myself for my '86...have a camaro 3800 v6 in it and I like that motor better than the 4.0, so I don't want to do a full swap.