Snow Plow Blade

hey guys...

just wondering if anyone has ever lightened up a snow plow blade before.

i installed the plow that was on my 88 on my 92

i just think the blade is too heavy for the plowing i actually do. and it tore up the 88....bushings, etc....

the blade is ready for a facelift

thanks guys!!

I don't plow much snow anymore, but when I lived in Vermont most of the plow guys were beefing up the plow blades, especially when Dodge started using the Meyers.

Fishers were heavier, and stood the commercial plow usage better.

Leaving the blade on for normal driving is hard on any truck, and especially on coil sprung rigs. Fords with coils took a hard beating.

A plow on a xj or mj will beat the hell out of everything.

Your blade already needs some welding.

In my area of Vt many of the guys with Meyers added reinforcement and another pair of trip springs. Most took the shoes off after the ground froze. Of course that is even harder on the blade.

For your own use only, some welding, and take it off when not needed it will probably be ok.

I never did think it was a good idea to hang 4-500 lbs five feet in front of the frame on a unibody.

I have been runing a snoway snow plow in my 88 mj for about 5 years with no issues. I only do my driveway an my neightbors. The snoway plow is a clear lexan blade with down pressure - it works pretty good and the whole thing weight 380 lb.

The overall weight including the subframe of the snoway way plow I have in the MJ is about 340 to 350 pounds. The weight is enough to bring the front end down a bit but I fix that by installing a set of air lift bags in the front coils - they work great and they are very affordable. I will suggest that if you have the funds go for the matching compressor that automatically will keep the air bags inflated to the minimum pressure recomended plus you can always inflate and deflate from the comfort of the cab on those cold days.