Headliner Question Regarding The Foam

so my mjs factory headliner fell to pieces, not just the fabric but the thicker padding thats glued to the foam, then some of the foam came off in chunks. i have a guy who sanded down my dodge rams headliner n put new fabric on do u think he can like bondo up the foam so its in shape with the rest of the headliner then respray it and put fabric on? or is there a material i coulld use, a putty of some sort, to patch up the foam portions before i take it to him to re-line?

I'd pull the headliner board, get a cheap fiberglass kit and glass in one or two thin layers on both sides. Just thick enough to strengthen it but no so thick that its nor flexible, its easy to reform the crumbling areas of the headliner board with fiberglass. Then have it reupholstered or just get some fabric from Joann's and do it yourself.

I've pulled my headliner out to recover and found a crack across the center (not quite all the way through or across the backing) and the edges pretty well crumbled. The PO had stapled the old fabric to the fiberboard, which didn't help its condition.

One of the forum members suggested coating the whole board with resin and re-building the edges with fiberglass and I think I'm going that way.

I bought the headliner material from Steve, a member of the forum (SMS Headliners ?, he's on eBay) and I believe he is now also selling the headliner boards.

I'd pull the headliner board, get a cheap fiberglass kit and glass in one or two thin layers on both sides. Just thick enough to strengthen it but no so thick that its nor flexible, its easy to reform the crumbling areas of the headliner board with fiberglass. Then have it reupholstered or just get some fabric from Joann's and do it yourself.

X2 on this...I used fiberglass & resin to repair/reshape my board. Worked great. If you've never worked with it, just add a little less catalyst/hardener so you'll have a bit more time to work with it before it sets up. You need to add "enough", just don't add as much as the recipe calls for (like 1/4 less). Pre measure and pre-cut the glass fabric. Don't "paint" the board, it will suck up the resin like crazy. Just use it on the immediate area you need to repair/reshape.

ill try and take a pic tomorrow but i have like fully grown man fist chunks missing from near the rear edge, 2 random spots in the center of the board, then three missing 1/2 inward chunks missing from the front edge of the headliner, if u know what i mean? you think i can fix this with liquid fiberglass forming it to follow the countour or flatness of the headliner foam board? seems body shop work-ish, but ill give it a shot. where should i buy it, likie o'reillys or home depot or what

edit: so i buy the fiberglass resin like from home depot like

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202077791/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=fiberglass&storeId=10051#.UIyXnoaDqSo

then buy the fiberglass cloth or the weave? and try and fill in the holes or atleast put some material in there then fiberglass over it?

Small weave. You can't just paint it on without some glass (cloth) over the holes.

Measure and mock it up, pre-cut the pieces, mix the resin with hardener (don't do the whole gallon at once, pour some into another, disposable container), get the area wet with resin, place the cloth, get the cloth wet with more resin. Dab it in to the corners and remove as many air pockets as possible.

If you have holes, just put wet cloth over the hole, and apply the resin. Keep forming it and eliminating bubbles. When the resin starts looking like Jell-o, you're done (as in you can't work it after that. If you have to do all four corners, do it in two or three batches, or do the front, let it set up. Then do the back, set-up, then finish it up Once the resin starts setting up you should have it finished